• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with a ticking and grinding noise

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
My rig is rather built and right now I have the factory np242 tcase. Recently I have been getting a ticking noise with a slight thumping/grinding sound. The noises only occur when I am in 4 wheel drive. They get closer together as I speed up and go away as soon as I go back into 2 wheel drive. The ticking seems to get worse while I am turning and gets better once I straighten out, but it is still always there. I hung off the front end as my wife drive it in 4 lo and I could not tell if the sound was coming from my front diff or t-case. There seems to be two distinct noises with one being the ticking sound and the other being this thumping/grinding noise. Inside my front diff is a detroit trutrac. Long story short I need to know if others have had similar issues with either there trutrac or their 242. I don't want to order the rebuild kit for my 242 and have it be my detroit and I don't want to order a new detroit and have it be my tcase, so any help would be greatly appreciated. One last question, if it is my tcase, is there a wide chain option available for the 242 like their is for the 231?

I know there has to be guys out there that had a 242 go out or a trutrac go out. I would really like to hear what happenened and the noises/symptoms you had and maybe what the culpurit was.

Since I got no responses maybe I should simplifly this thread. Forget about the trutrac. I will ask about its issues in the modified tech forum. Lets just focus on the 242 tcase. Anyone out there ever have one go bad? Any weird noises, symptoms, actual broken part?

Back