• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home made CAI idea

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i was looking at getting a CAI but everyones idea of CAI on a jeep is to put the filter in an oven AKA engine bay lol. So what i was thinking is using the stock air box and drill like a 3 inch hole in it and run some 3in tubing to a mushroom vent that would be located on the drivers side upper corner of the hood. Do you think this is a good idea and i would get a benefit out of it? here is the link and i would only go with the smallest vent.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...d=11763&familyName=Vetus+Mushroom+Ventilators

and of course i would paint it to match the jeep :)

edit: damn Tayln snuck in ahead of me

so do you think the forced induction is a good idea?i think it will be a good idea?

except just adding a vent in the wind stream on your jeep will not make forced induction. Not at the speeds you are driving at. Air will not compress like you are thinking till you are close to supersonic. You need a turbo or a blower for that.

It will help to bring in a cooler charge of air though. Taking your air source from outside the engine bay is almost never a bad idea.

sorry i didnt mean to say forced induction lol i just meant like have that vent compared to louvers would force air into the intake, think that would be a good idea or just do like a louver through the fender and have pipe running to the vent?

sorry i didnt mean to say forced induction lol i just meant like have that vent compared to louvers would force air into the intake, think that would be a good idea or just do like a louver through the fender and have pipe running to the vent?

It is still a false idea. It will not "force" air into the intake at all. the air will never enter the engine faster than the engine can accept it without forced induction through either a mechanical device or excess speed and the correct shaped entrance nozzle.

The differences on a jeep application really just amount to what you think looks better. You may see a small performance difference, but it will be from cooler air having a more direct path to the intake.

yea i will do that for sure i think it will turn out good. Now when i run the 3 hose from the air box to the vent should i cut some little holes in the hose for drainage?

Back