• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter life???

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I jsut put another starter in the XJ, it was 5 years old. My local Checker/O'Reilly warranteed without a hitch, but, I think it died too young.

How long are starters "supposta" last?

<shrug> My 94 has the original starter. Well.... it's on the same starter as when I bought it in 1997 w/ 44,000 miles. Up around 225,000 now.

Was it clean when it came out? If it had any oil on it, you may have a leak that is dripping down onto the starter. Oily starters can fail in short order.

If it was oily, I would check for an OFA or valve cover leak or your new one may not last more than a year or two either.

Actually, the case was oily. How would that ruin the bearings?

It doesn't. It ruins the brushes if the oil gets inside, which it will.

You should track down the source of the leak and fix it before it eats another one.

My first guess is OFA. The o-ring kit is nice and cheap. Could also be valve cover. Those can both leak down on to the starter.

Okee-dokee! The 21-year-old CCV grommet keeps everything rust free. It has been on the list for awhile now. :)

I've searched some of the starter threads, now to search out a rebuilder, or maybe even a source for wear parts.

My 99 still has the original. Gobs and gobs of oil dripping on it too. 157k on the clock. :dunno:
We havn't put that many miles on our '90 because it runs mostly short trips. So, short trips with a RENIX = more engine cranking???

Back