• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clocking ring

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
quick question regards to a np231 clocking ring.I have an NV3550 trans in my 88 xj and used the 88 transfer case I had to change the input gear from the 21 spline to the 23 spline.My question is I need to clock the t case down due to the nv3550 clocking was designed for the 2001 era transfercase clocking,mine sits real high,to high.when you use a clocking ring -3/8 thick is there and issue with spline engagement? Both t case and trans have input/output shaft seals and wont leak.thanx

Sounds like you have a TJ transmission. The mounting pattern is clocked 10deg higher then the XJ trans. (It's actually the transfer case adapter housing/tail shaft housing on the trans, not the stud position on the T-case that is different.
You should be able to use the clocking ring with no problem, however, with the NV-3550, you have the option of drilling the pattern in the lower position. The rear case casting is the same for both versions. It just has the holes drilled in a different location. The rear face of the trans has enough meat to drill the new bolt pattern 10deg. down.

Back