• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV242 Rear Output Seal Leaking / Installation Help

NW99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Specs: 1999 XJ, AW4, NV242J, 4.0, etc....
Hack and tap just done on the lathe, all to spec. -turned out perfectly.
No play/movement/ or warpage of any kind is present on the shaft.
So I swapped the seal out for a new one. Pulled the slinger, the washer, then the C-clip, and pulled out the old seal.
This time I greased the living SH_T out of both the shaft as well as the entire seal. It went on a little better this time.
After completion, I let it idle in 2wd (with no driveline) letting the shaft spin till up to temp, - no leaks -
Then I drove for about a 7.5 mile round trip, and when I got back, I see a fresh little "spray" of tranny fluid on the body and the cat, right about where the slinger is.
The factory service manual is calling for some special tool to install the seal, but I've gotta believe its not mandatory.
I'm on my third seal looking to install it, and need advice.
-Is there a better way.
-Is there something I'm missing/doing wrong.
-Is there some sort of little "trick of the trade" that can resolve this.
-I've got a run I'm leaving for Friday after work, and I DO NOT want to miss it for something silly like this.

Using NAPA part number: 18108 https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=NOS18108_0006355264&An=0
because the dealerships around here want $60 for one.
Here's what the seal looks like:

outer side

inner side

Back