• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need an h shaped valve for cooling

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all im working on getting my ac working and I am looking to see if anyone has encountered a 3 valve H shaped connection with two ball valves on the upper legs of the H and one in the middle. Or I could possibly use two multi directional y style valves. I have considered using copper and brass lines to make the shutoff's but as of yet have not come up with anything concrete. Does anyone know the heat resiliency of pvc and pex? I figure it should be able to withstand what 300° ?

I thought about using an actual HCV but I really just don't want to mess with it.

Note: this is what happens when your shop is hit by a tornado, you are out of school, and getting paid to clean up storm damage. Oh and add in the a/c not working in supposedly the hottest year in recorded history.

My bet is this is a "manual" heater control valve, a way to shut off the heater core in the summer and re-open it in the winter.

I made a "U" pipe to hook up to the heater hoses for the summer and then I flush and "blow out" the heater core so it doesn't clog up just sitting.

Here is a pic;
0705101536.jpg

The heater control valve for a 4 cylinder 85 with manual is a nice bypass valve so it does not run coolant through the heater core when off and does not simply cut off the flow, but loops it back.

I have successfully eliminated the heater control valve on three of my Jeeps, as many others on this forum have, with no ill effects. The factory eliminated it in later years anyway.

If the purpose is as people are guessing and not for refrigerant like your post suggests, all you need is one shutoff valve on the return leg of the upper pair. Coolant will not be able to enter the supply leg, and will have to take the center bypass leg. Also worth pointing out here that this will allow coolant to sit in the core, where it will go stale. The benefit of an active valve is that coolant will still be able to circulate when the system is disabled (XJ heater valves are "normally open" and are controlled by the temperature selector). This is also the primary benefit to just keeping the whole system open all the time.

If the purpose is for refrigerant, I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, no internet at home and being out of range for 3g service makes using the interweb spotty at best.

I apologize I was not clear in my first post. I am looming at getting my a/c serviced and running in my 89 given this is the hottest summer in recorded history in Oklahoma. I would be all.set to get it done however with the heater setting up to go all the time it makes any a/c cooling negated. My goal was to create a.manual shut off system but I was unaware I could do it with only one valve. I am waiting until we bulldoze our house to steal a couple levered ball valves from the plumbing system. In th mean Time I cut and looped the hoses. Thanks everyone

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The heater will not be "on" by eliminating the valve. The blend air door regulates heat to the cabin, not the valve. I live in Arizona and have 2 Jeeps with no heater valves and working AC. The coolant flow valve is what it's really called and was a redundant part that was eliminated in later years. Add in that the crappy valve is known to deteriorate and then disintegrate with no warning in the most inconvenient places, losing massive amounts of coolant, I always vote to eliminate it. No sweat. Pun intended.

When I can get some spare time to draw a picture ill post one up to see if what im talking about is the same as what you are, for the time being though I do not vet.bot air blowing at.me. only the fan running. Which h is a big improvement. Now to find someone who can service my a/c.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back