• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear passenger drum locks up...

MancheMike

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ. Tap the brakes at 15mph or under and the right rear locks up.

I backed off the adjuster, and it worked great for a few days. Now, its back to locking up again.

Popped off the drum, it looks good, as do the shoes. No signs of fluid leak anywhere.

Ideas/opinions? Wheel cyl? Bad adjuster? how can I keep it from ratcheting itself up to the point it locks 'em up?

Did the brakes recently get replaced? If so it sounds like the leading and trailing brake shoes got swapped.

Did the brakes recently get replaced? If so it sounds like the leading and trailing brake shoes got swapped.

Not to my knowledge...

Picked this one up wrecked, it sat for the last 4 months (at least). No idea what the prior owner/owners had done or not.

Is there an easy way to tell by looking at them which is which? Different dimensions?

recently and in the past had rear drum lockin up issues.

Turns out the OTHER side(nonlocking up side) was the issue.

open other side up.
check for leaks, misaligned parts, wear on pads..

my problem was a misaligned adjuster bracket.

takes 15 min JUST DO IT!

recently and in the past had rear drum lockin up issues.

Turns out the OTHER side(nonlocking up side) was the issue.

open other side up.
check for leaks, misaligned parts, wear on pads..

my problem was a misaligned adjuster bracket.

takes 15 min JUST DO IT!

Had a relative take it apart today (I was at work). According to his email:

"Think I found it… cable aligning adjuster was out of guide on driver side"

my problem was on drivers side too.
swear i installed it correctly.

suspect like too much slack in the cable when releasing after braking hard.

keeping an eye on problem.

my problem was on drivers side too.
swear i installed it correctly.

suspect like too much slack in the cable when releasing after braking hard.

keeping an eye on problem.
A common problem with the aftermarket parts is that the pivot (that little guide that hooks under the top brake spring) does not have a deep or tight enough spigot to stay in the hole of the brake show as you put it all together. It falls slightly out of the hole, but the spring is still able to hook through it. It looks pretty good as you're assembling it, but leaves the cable slack. It can be hard to notice unless you're keeping a close eye on the position of the adjusting pawl. It will usually stay together all right once it's together right, but it's a poor design. The OEM ones were pressed into the shoe a little better, I think.

Back