• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping gears/locker from one axle to another...

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
Recently purched a HP dana 30 out of a 88 MJ. It's been regeared to 4.56 and has a locker. I've never done gears or anything like this, so I'd like to take all of that and put it in my 98 XJ's dana 30. I'm assuming it's not just a easy pull and swap? I'd still have to have somebody set these up for me? I'd need an install kit wouldn't I? I'm not really wanting to use the disco axle even though the shaft on the passenger side is now a one piece

I'm assuming it's not just a easy pull and swap?

Correct.

I'd still have to have somebody set these up for me?

Correct

I'd need an install kit wouldn't I?

Correct.

I'm not really wanting to use the disco axle even though the shaft on the passenger side is now a one piece

Just as long as the passenger side axle seal isn't leaking then i'd just run the 88 D30. The UCA mount on the passenger side isn't stamped sheet metal like on your '98 D30.

I thought the shafts were the same? The 98 axle shafts for the dana 30 are bigger? I'm going to have look this up. I knew about the 27 vs. 29 spline axles shafts in the Chrysler 8.25.

the older D30 is more than likely vacuum disco, and has a 2 piece long side shaft and uses smaller 260x joints. IIRC the only way to get the bigger joints and on piece shaft in renix-era xjs would be if it had a 242 tcase and abs.

the older D30 is more than likely vacuum disco, and has a 2 piece long side shaft and uses smaller 260x joints. IIRC the only way to get the bigger joints and on piece shaft in renix-era xjs would be if it had a 242 tcase and abs.
The OP indicated it has been modified for one piece passenger side shaft. AFAIK the shafts themselves are the saem size for all but the u-joints in the newer ones are bigger. I would replace the u-joints anyway.

Back