• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cd player install

1980dg

NAXJA Forum User
i used the dash install kit from walmart to put my cd player in. its not centered. am i missing somthing here where my radio goes theres only two holes to mount the radio in place. Is that how everyones is? Its a 99 jeep cherokee sport. thanks

It should be centered.

I've used the kits that Crutchfield supplies with all their head units, always centered whether TJ, XJ or ZJ...

Did you mount the bracket in backwards? My aftermarket bracket would fit both ways and it would be uncentered if mounted backwards (upside down).

Greg

Ive tryed inside out and upside down its been like this for 2 years. My jeep was reconstructed (from the junk yard) befor i got it. Does anyone have a pic of there radio with out the dash cover on it. Its so far off it sits bottom passingerside when the dash covers on. thanks. I think maby its just the cheep kit from walmart i got it works for lots of cars and trucks.

Do you have the right kit? This is the Scosche plate. The two red squares mark the tabs that are used to screw it into the factory location, which is centered in the bezel for a regular DIN chassis.

A quick check on Scosche's website says there are two that work for a 97+ Cherokee; CJ1278B and CJ1282B. The pic above is the latter.

Where the plate mounts under the dash bezel, you need a second set of holes. As I didn't install my CD player originally, I don't know if they are under the stuck-on red velvet tabs or if they were drilled by the installer. I can get pics later if you need them.

Last edited:
Not a problem. If you can't find it on the shelf, these also work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/METRA-99-6000-D...785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a72eb0a9

It seems to support the head unit better than the Scosche kit above. The little cubby for jewel cases is handy, and it matches the contours of the 97+ dash a bit better, IMO.

This is the one I used on my '99. It "flexed" much less than the one from Crutchfield, but I still had to fab up a bracket to support the rear of the head unit. I think it would be okay without the rear support if you don't bounce around off-road, but I felt like the extra support would help reduce annoying rattles.

thanks for all the help i found the metra 99 6000 i will get one. I use a peace of egg foam under the radio to stop it from skipping

Back