• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac trans cooler

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
i deleted my ac system and i plan on using my ac condensor for the trans cooler. i was curious to know how you guys attach the lines to the ac condensor. is there a spceial barbed fitting you can buy or did you just cut the steel line from the condensor and clamp the rubber line to it? also when i pulled the grill off so i could take a peek there was a trans cooler there. do xjs come with factory coolers? it looks factory because the lines had quick discos and the hoses didnt look aftermarket. thanks for any advice.

Yes they did with the towing package. My '88 has one.

I suppose it'd work, heard of it before. Why don't you just remove the condenser (aka A/C radiator) altogether and put a regular old tranny cooler in there. I have a 10"x12" tranny cooler and my temps are fine >120 and <200 in any conditions

Or just keep the stock one in there and remove the condenser. I would think that would be better anyways becasue you would have more airfllow acoss the radiator and the stock trans cooler. And the AW4 is tough, 2 coolers is really not needed. and the more connections the more places for leaks! My buddys aw4 failed on him only because the trans cooler line came off.

Or just keep the stock one in there and remove the condenser. I would think that would be better anyways becasue you would have more airfllow acoss the radiator and the stock trans cooler. And the AW4 is tough, 2 coolers is really not needed. and the more connections the more places for leaks! My buddys aw4 failed on him only because the trans cooler line came off.

I'll bet the OEM trans cooler would work a little better without the a/c condenser there to restrict air-flow... good call!

You could probably do as well leaving the condenser tube in and just removing the fins. That way you could zip-tie a very open
sheet of hardware cloth (painted black, of course) over the remaining tube to help protect the radiator from bugs, rocks, sticks, etc...

the trans cooler sucks. my trans got way too hot and completely just shit out on me. the reason i want to use the ac condensor is because it is huge and it already has real estate in the grill area. just an inexpensive soultion to a stupid problem. i was going to just order one and someone else on here told me just use the ac condensor. and other guys said it was a good idea. as far as the lines go. im going to do what grimm did with the earls fiitings and run the lines straig to the condensor so it should eliminate all of the unessessary connections.

Well maybe the stock one is getting plugged up? If you severley over heated the fluid it needs to be flushed, just droping the pan wont get all the fluid out, I would just ditch the stock cooler and condenser and run a new clean B&M cooler I think mine was like 60 bucks shipped, cheap insurance on a trans.

well i got the B&m cooler and the earls fittings from summit and installed it today on the jeep. it was fairly easy to do and now i know why you guys said to remove the ac condensor. once i started the jeep up i could actually feel the fan sucking air through the grill. tanks for the input guys.

Back