• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 tcase won't go into 2WD. Not linkage?

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My kids jeep will not go into 2WD high. All winter he drove it in FUll-time 4WD. When you shift to 2WD it is actually in Part Time 4WD High. I disconnected the linkage and pry bared it to the 2WD location. I turns out that the linkage is correctly adjusted?

Any help would appreciated.

I've had mine stick pretty good before, I kept at it. Shifted the transfer repeatedly into different gears and shifted between drive and reverse numerous times. It eventually came out of full time. I really don't know if it is worn shift fork pads or my loose front output bearing that causes my grief.

I do know the more I shift the better it seems to work in general. It only seems to screw up when I go long periods without shifting the transfer. Exercising it periodically sure seems to help.

On my 242, I really have to slam it hard from 4wd into 2wd and even then it takes 50-100 feet for the tcase to get into 2wd.

with mine, Ill hold the tcase shifter hard forward in the 2wd position, give it a good bit of throttle and get going to 15-20 mph and just let out of the throttle, then it pops right in. But I have to hold it in the 2wd position the entire time or it wont work

I have one of those vacuum systems that failed pretty often. There is this actuator on the tcase that is vacuum operated, turns out that the diaphragm in it had failed and it stuck the actuator in the 4wd position. Didn't realize this had happened until the tcase failed. Mine wasn't designed to run 4wd full time so it crapped itself and I had to replace it. But I am pretty sure that is a system that was discontinued in 1991ish... So knowing the year of your Jeep will help out. If you read other threads on on Jeep tcases shift into 2wd while in park or neutral and then shift into reverse and drive it like 15-100 feet.

Thanks for input, I'll try some of the stuff mentioned. If I can get it into 2wd I won't have to worry about it until next winter.

Deep down, their must be some kind of shift fork problem.

Back