• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New PS Pump noisey, why?

DerMeister

NAXJA Forum User
Hello! This is my first post here. I have done a lot of searching tonight and have came up with no answers.

Ok, A while ago I replace my steering box, right after I failed to bleed the system all the way and my stock power steering pump started to whine. So I got a rmf. one from autozone. It still whined even though I bled the system. This was a year ago.

Today I decided to take it back under warranty and swapped the new one in. I spent about 3.5hrs bleeding the system. I filled it up, jacked up the front end and turned the wheel lock to lock a dozen times, let it sit for a while until there were no more air bubbles. I did this around 5 times. The final time no air was present so I started it up and it ran quiet. I turn the wheel lock to lock 6 times and checked it. Only a little bit of air. Did this a few more times.

Then I set it on the ground, and started it. It made a little bit of noise, but less than my old one. Took it around the block and did some manouvers in my driveway. It started to whine just like the old one.

So what is up here? There are only a little bit of bubbles in the fluid, no foam. When I turn the wheel I can here it hiss in the cabin and under acceleration I can here the pump quite loudly. Any ideas?

When you went lock to lock, was the motor running? It should be. Some pumps simply whine, especially rebuilts. I have gone through 6 pumps in 2 years. The last on simply had no power at an idle, even with a small pulley.

I put in a new steering box, it was noisy, though bleeding did help. It seemed to get quieter over a period of a couple of weeks. I finally got tired of the noise and tried a synthetic PS fluid, I used Liqui Moly though I doubt it is available in the U.S., at least under that name. Amasol makes a synthetic P.S. fluid that might help. The synthetic I used sure seemed to get the air out of suspension quick, reduced cavitation and quieted everything down to tolerable levels.

My last rebuilt pump (from Autozone) made strange noises on the first startup, and was puking fluid an hour later. I was stoked.

The motor was not running for the first 50 or so lock to locks. After that it was running for a dozen or more.

As far as cavitation, this seems like a possibility as today there were very small air bubbles in the system. How would I find the hole in the system?

And I have been thinking about running different fluid other than the prestone power steering fluid ive been using.

However I have a very noisy AC compressor bearing that makes it hard for me to hear the power steering at the moment. So tuesday when thats fixed ill be able to listen to the pump better.

I don't see any damp spots. I just replaced my AC compressor as it had a noisey bearing. I can now hear this new pump better.

IMO at idle and under acceleration it isn't as bad...yet. However when you turn the wheel at idle it is actually worse than the other one.

I see some very small air bubbles in the fluid though.

Did you replace the lines when you replaced the pump? The lines are not that pricey from napa or I believe the fittings have o-rings that you can replace at least.

I use mopar steering fluid, it seems to work pretty well for me getting the air out of the system.

Nope, but I think that is on the list. I found the high pressure line touching the side of the fraim quite firmly, so I am in the process of changing them around so that it wont touch.

I went through three Autozone pumps before I got one that was quiet. Then that one had no pressure at low rpms. Tried one time more and this one appears to be OK.

Well, the hoses aren't touching the frame now, and I discovered that when my dad put the hoses on (he was helping out why I was at work) he put anti-seize on threads of the hoses. So what looks like small air bubbles is actually anti-seize suspended in the fluid.

Anyways, I bled the system and it still makes noise, although a little bit less. There is no air in the system at all now. Althought I doubt it, perhapes the anti-seize is causing the problem?

So I can spend $10 on an additive, $26+ on better fluid, or swap out the pump again or argue for a refund and go elsewhere.

Last edited:
I went through three Autozone pumps before I got one that was quiet. Then that one had no pressure at low rpms. Tried one time more and this one appears to be OK.

That is typical of Auto Zone. I have a friend who works at Auto Zone who told me when a customer return a part that did not work for him regardles of the reason they simply put it back in stock and give it to the next customer who come in. They keep repeating this hoping that one day it will not be returned.

I replace the power steering pump with a new pump from O'riley some years back. I bled it by filling it and turning the steering (wheels of the ground) lock to lock a few times, maybe about 10 times with the engine off while toping off the fluid as necessary. That precess was repeated with the engine running being carefull not to lug the pump by forceing the steering against the stops. With the cover off the reservoir I let it cool off the top up the fluid again. For the first day or two it would whine slightly at idle when turning the wheel then the whine went away.

Tryed the lucas addative. No luck. Ill give it a few weeks and swap it out. It sucks because everytime the pulley has broken and won't come off. So I end up dropping $20 in fluid and a pulley. Would ask for my money back, but them im out a core too.

Back