• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gen-right offroad power steering pulley

sledneck

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a Gen-right offroad power steering pulley. I got it to have better steering at idle/low RPM(running 33 X 12.5s). I measured it and it seams it's the same size as the stock pulley, 5". I thought it was supposed to be smaller. Does anyone run this pulley and did it have a positive effect on the steering? I don't want the $100 pretty blue pully if its not going to help push the tires better.

Link to the pulley where it say its 10% overdrive.
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=VPP1001

Thanks

IDK about the size, I'd email gen-right. On the other hand if it's not smaller I'd still probably run it just cause of the cooling effect it would have on the PS system.

Ya I think I'm gonna install it. I'll turn off my electric fans and do a little test to see how much air it pushes. I'll let ya know.
Thanks

I got it on...eventually. First I thought there was an allen head bolt on it and I had to go but the right allen. Then after stripping the allen, that was apparently the wrong size, I remembered looking at an new pump online and not seeing any bolt only the stud. So I used the autozone loaner pulley puller and eventually it moved. It came off about 3/16 but wouldn't come anymore so I was trying to tap the puller to pop it off when the piece of the pulley the puller hooks broke off. At that point I was pissed so I broke the plastic POS pulley into a ton of pieces and began prying on the last metal piece that was on the stud. It would not move. So I got even more pissed and got the grinder out with a cutting wheel and began cutting slots in it to try to release the pressure. Finally the damn thing popped off and putting the new one on was easy.

As for the Genright moving air I had a match lit behind the pulley at idle and it barly moved the flame. However my rig does steer much easier at idle and it may move more air at higher RPM. So all it all I think it is a good addition.

Im hopefully going to get this in a few months when my jeep is derivable again. I dont really understand how it will help cooling unless the spokes are angled like a fan (cant tell from there pic).

Oh ya and toss a pic of thiss "eye candy" up haha.

*edit*
looking at the pic it does seem to have a fan like angle on it my bad.

Last edited:
It is angled like a fan but I think its too small to push very much air, and It only has four blades. I didn't get to drive it on the highway yet I got it done at like 1730 and had to leave to work at 2000 but I'll let ya know. I throw a pic up tomorrow too.

I drove it a little today it steers very nice not touchy. It feels stock except almost all of the low RPM hard steering is gone. I use to let off before geting into a corner at hwy speed and the steering would be hard then hit the gas a litte out of the corner and it would get easy again...causing a scarry jerk part way through the corner. Thats gone which is nice
IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

And o the sexy eye candy. Doesnt look good in my crappy engine compartment

damn I looked at those and decided I did not need one. However that looks really cool! Ive replace the pulley on my 4 banger TJ. The Dorman replacement is OEM quality and only 10 bucks, but is a PITA!!

Low RPM steering sounds good!

my 99 xj stock pulley to get off was not that hard if i remember... i just can not believe that the pulley is only pressed on! kinda crazy since it spins up to 4k rpm...

ok the pulley:

mine is red and the finish is great still after a couple years

i have a psc hydro assist ram, stock box (tapped with no mods), stock pump, synthetic power steering fluid, medium power steering cooler mounted in front of radiator

I installed the pulley 3 months before the hydro assist with 35's and it really helped on the low end even turning the tires in the parking lot. the steering response was a little quicker but was it no way unsafe on the road or the highway

once the hydro assist was installed pushing 35's and then 37's i wonder why the hell i never ran hydro assist (that;s another story)

the pulley really complemented the hydro assist but helped the stock system out even going slow on the trail

does it cool? ehhhhh not sure how much it helps but behind the pulley the is some movement of air (hard to truely tell with stock fan still running)
all i can say is that with stock pump and box my steering has never overheated or had the dive or lack of response on a fatiguing system. with my cooler i think i had to add like 3 bottles of fluid because the lines and cooler added that much to the total system (when 100% dry).

I also added a little bit of lucas to help with hydro fitting from leaking too much... not sure if it helps the fluid but i know it conditions seal and such and helps keep your power steering system healthy when used in small doses - it is not a substitute for power steering fluid itself...

here is a quotet i saved a while back while searching for info myself even though obviously i bought it...

"Just another gimmick to sell you some CNC machined aluminum (Wish I'd though of that!).

The power steering pump doesn't need cooling.

If you want to cool EVERYTHING in the power steering system down, install a line cooler in the return line to the reservoir.

Cooler reservoir liquid temps will cool a lot faster and more efficiently than air blowing over the front of the pump...

And besides, I see slots, not air moving blades on that pulley... No real cooling effect there to start with, and by not having blades, it's not moving any air.
It might be disrupting any air flow that gets back there instead of helping cooling!"

i think psc sells a cheaper under drive pulley??

i can post pics later

Back