• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My pw reservior is leaking and my pump itself seems like its nearing the clearing at the end of the path. I have a pretty stock 98 xj but am planning on starting a steady build up this fall. I dont plan on going too extreme with my jeep as its a dd (for now). Anyways Im wondering if I should upgrade when I replace my power steering but Ive searched and haven't seen anything to that effect except a quick mention of a wj replacement. Should I upgrade? To what? How swappable is the upgrade?

Last edited:
Do a search for Dodge Durango boxes, Direct replacement. slight upgrade in that it takes less turns to crank wheel lock to wheel lock. i dunno if it's any stronger though.

I have the Durango box in mine and can't tell a lick of difference from stock.

Once my pump goes, I'll be putting in one from a WJ. At the Meet and Greet that was held here in the Springs, I met a fellow that had the WJ pump and the box from a J20 truck in his Heep. He had at least 33s on it and you could turn the steering wheel with your pinky... Absolutely no noise out of the system either. So, that will be the way I'll go in the future. After the WJ knuckle conversion.

Duuuuudes;

He's talking about the PUMP, not the gearbox.

Pump has nothing to do with gear ratio.

I'd check with PSC. They had something for XJ a couple years ago, but it was inconclusive whether it would fit/work in various models. Hopefully they have it sorted out by now.

Duuuuudes;

He's talking about the PUMP, not the gearbox.

Pump has nothing to do with gear ratio.

Actaully, I read it as he was talking about the gearbox also. He said in his original post, "...Anyways Im wondering if I should upgrade when I replace my power steering..." which lead me to understand that he is planning to replace his gearbox and wants to upgrade his PS pump at the same time.

So, depends how you read it.

My post stands....I have the Durango box in mine and don't see any difference, however, it is definately a beefier unit, and there was no harm in doing that swap since I needed a gear box anyway.

I have not changed out the pump so I won't comment on that.

The J20 box is much beefier then the durango. Got mine for about $120 from RockAuto. Its a 4 bolt like the YJ box, but three of the bolts are the same as the TJ/ XJ's.

Does anyone have a link with pictures for the WJ pump swap, they may be the ticket for me aswell.

J20 boxes are dirt cheap because... who wants them? Well, as it turns out, we want them!

And thanks austinaubinoe for agreeing. Not my idea, saw it at the M&G here. You should be able to do a search for the WJ pump swap. It is rapidly becoming the thing to do.

IMHO, the Durango box just does not add all that much to the party. Keep in mind that he J20 box most likely has a higher flow requirement. It is from the 3/4 ton truck and fluid efficient boxes were not the norm as they are today. Which is why I'll do both together.

I'm pretty sure all steering pumps of that 'style' are the same and fit pretty universally. It's just the location of the reservoir that differs mainly. WJ box seems like a good swap, I'm going with an aftermarket KRC pump that I got from a friend.

As far as boxes go, I bought a rebuilt YJ box from a buddy of mine that is already tapped for assist. I have the taps plugged up right now and the steering feels fine with everything else stock. It also helped the steering feel when I welded up the big crack in the unibody right below the box...

Just some info....if you choose a dodge box, you have to space it away from the framerail a little bit. A couple washers usually does the trick.

Back