• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scary brake problem

smalltownbird

NAXJA Forum User
I posted about this in my thread about suspension popping but it happened again today so I need some help. When I go in reverse something under the drivers seat area pops to where I can feel it. Afterward when i apply the brakes the pedal goes to the floor and I don't stop. I have to use the ebrake to stop. It is pretty scary. My jeep is lifted about 5 inches with tcase drop. I did relocate brake lines, but I have had no issues until now. My tcase drop bolts came loose and one side dropped down. I fixed it and this is when the brake problem started. Any ideas. I'm scared to drive the kids in case something happens and i crash.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

So how are the brakes now? Does it keep doing it? Hows the level in the resivor, is it full? Did you have the system open when doing the lift? If so have you tried bleeding it again? Will the pedal pump up hard? Does this only happen when in reverse?

We need more info on when, how offten, what you have checked and the basics on your jeep.

Once the pedal goes to the floor I can put it in park and pump the pedal and pressure builds back up. It only seems to happen after going in reverse. When backing up, I get a pop then when I hit the brakes nothing happenns. This happens in drive or reverse. I did not have the system open and the level in the resevoire is good. I don't see anything leaking. I lowered the brake lines when doing the lift, but I didn't disconnect anything so air shouldn't have gotten in the system. I really want to think that it has something to do with the tcase drop...

I really want to think that it has something to do with the tcase drop...

Well the brake lines run right along the frame rail through that area, if the problem started right after the t-case drop, and that's the only thing you did from when the brakes worked fine to their present state, I'd start closely inspecting the lines around the t-case.

However, you say that there is a loud pop then the brakes don't work, I had a porportioning valve go out on my power wagon and everytime right before it would act up it would make a pop as well (I could feel it in the brake pedal as well) So might want to look into that.

You say it only happens after being in reverse? I would take the rear wheels and drums off and check things out.

I would check the self adjustors, cable, and the springs and cylinders.

Something wacky in there could be happening when you apply the brakes in reverse.

I appreciate the responses. Do you guys think that something could be shifting backwards in reverse? I drop the transfer case but i can't get it to sit tight so it shifts a little when moving. Nothing started happening until I redid the tcase drop. I bought a 2000 wj yesterday so i have something to drive while i troubleshoot this problem.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

The T-case doesn't effect the brakes in any way, unless a line was being pinched during installation. And there would be evidence of that. keep testing - you don't want to be too hasty in feeling it is fixed.:thumbup:

A common popping problem occurs because the control arm bolts wallow out the holes in the mounts and they slide back and forth, especially when going from forward to reverse and back again.

I would take the rear wheels off, pull the drums and make sure your rear brakes are assembled correctly. If the pins that hold the shoes in place (that go through the backing plates) are broken or missing, or if the shoes are not seated properly on the center pin at the top (or maybe broken spring(s)), the brake shoes could be shifting enough to allow the wheel cylinder to push waay out, making the brakes fade like you describe. It could shift out when you back up and apply the brakes, then shift back into position when you go forward.

Back