• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At the axle crossroads

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
As anyone who talks to me enough I've been throwing around all sorts of ideas for the next step in my axle setups. Before I get into it here's my reasoning for my choices... I want narrow (stock or +2 width) I don't want big diff's, anyone who wheels with me knows I'm not a skinny pedal assassin. I also will be running 37's on steel bead locks. There is no bigger tire need past that. I run tight trails and nothing too extreme. I enjoy trail riding more than vertical rock climbs and the 3 story 50mph hill climbs. The name of the game in the New England area is wheel speed I don't do it much but when it's really needed I'll take care of business. Well without further delay here's my options.

Tire's will be 37x12.50R15 Maxxis Creepy's weighing in at about 90lbs without wheel so it wont be a light setup

Option 1:
Keep my modified 30 (it's sleeved, C's trussed, hydro assist, all 1/4" mounts) and add.....
Arb 30 spline
Reid 30/44 knuckles with 44 outer parts
RCV shafts with warn hubs
Cryo treat my Ring and pinion
and get poly performance's upgraded balljoints
Truss in addition to my axle sleeve.

Rear Axle
Keep my 8.25
Arb (29spline)
Superior 5x5.5 shafts
Disk brakes
Cryo treat ring and pinion

Option 2 (I have a 79 bronco 44 front right now that I have ZERO into)
Narrow/retube it
35 Spline ARB
Jana 44/50 kit 5:13 or 4.88's again
Rcv's with warn hubs
truss, and reuse OTK steering, trac bar

Rear axle
Reuse 8.25 and modify the same as option 1 or

9" with Detroit and 5:13's with drums for now.

I don't want to miss a year of wheeling building another axle set but then again I don't want to break shafts and r&p's from just rolling around. I compared both options and it's all going to be about the same + or - a few bucks. I also have a 4:1 so gearing isn't that huge of an issue. HELP! Please no one ton comments, it's just not a route I'm interested in.

ZOMG D44

built to XXXX 44 (meaning every most awesome part that you can possibly put on it) minimum.

i used to run 37" creeps on a 44. but i had a baby foot back then.

Adam said the magic number...60.

yeah....but who cares about ground clearance if your breaking stuff. the added strength of the 60 will give you piece of mind and added insurance of a bigger tire size in the future. and probably just a better investment overall if you pay the same to build either axle.

Im not going to anything bigger than a 37" I was at that size once and then I went back to 35's and initial cost of the 44 I have now is zero, I really cant find free 60's anywhere.

If cost is equal, I'd build the 44/9. Keep wheeling the XJ as is while you're building, then swap em in. That'd keep downtime to a minimum and give you a set of axles that'll be much less worrisome.

As far as wheeling 37s on a 30, a guy did it on Ultimate Adventure, with an LS1.

37 On the Turd will be pushing it for sure.

About the only thing left housing wise would be to Tie the diff cover to truss and maybe add the gurld mod Jana Did on Pirate.
with the full case locker and cromo shafts you have 2 Fuses the hubs and ring gear.
I like to see some one try to throw a 8 inch HP toyota ring gear in a D30.

I would go 44/9 inch.

Back