• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch Spare Tire Mount

Here's a pic....

31PPyFGkJDL_SS400_.jpg
[/IMG]

I actually saw an XJ with much the same setup (just home made) with a 33" mounted on a hitch carrier this last weekend.
seemed to work well for him.
the only thing I would wonder about is the amount of movement a hitch normally has, and what sounds it would create.

x2 on the noises. hitches rarely are a tight fot and rattle a lot. you could drill and tap a hole on the top and on the side of the reciever and use them as set screws to keep noise and movement to a minimum. still may move though. but as a cheap solution, the carrier seems like a cool idea

Bottom line,between the noise and no access to the lift gate was why I only use one when absolutely no other option was available.

I recently built one because I wanted something like that. I built it so the carrier swings down, and I tapped the receiver tube so that I could put a bolt in it to keep it from making noise (which works, that thing is super quiet). I also put in a recovery point since I'd be taking away the hitch recovery point I had before. I know it kills my departure angle, but it has worked fine so far.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've considered a similar hitch mount carrier. Curt makes solid stuff (I have both their winch cradle and receiver), but I'd want to know how far it protrudes out the back before buying it.

My buddy had one similar to that, his had two 1/4 plates the sandwiched the hitch and had a pivot so it would swing down and he was still able to have a d-ring in the hitch itself. He made his with some scrap he had layin around

Its one thing to make something like this, for cheap, to carry a spare you need...

but if you say you want a rear tire carrier bumper, i promise you will be dissapointed after buying one of these...

I used this exact one for a while with a 35" spare and it did its job. I didnt have the rear end caps so I looped a ratchet strap through the wheel and attached each hook to the edges of the bumper to keep it tight. Major pain to get in the trunk. I wouldnt mind having one that swings down. For the guys that only get to wheel occasionally this is a great option in my opinion. Might try to build a decent one soon.

i built one for mine, it was a quick fix for an expedition we were doing. I still use it, but I only use it if we are setting a base camp, and I leave it there.

not getting into your hatch just sucks.

Pro's and con's pro's and con's...Thanks for the opinions guys. Seems like some of these obstacles could only come about after buying and trying.

Last edited:
That would be perfect but for the price I've seen these go for I would just get an aftermarket bumper with tire carrier.

Back