• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing out lower radiator hose...

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ 4.0 at 125k here, and I got a coolant leak dripping from my lower radiator hose that seems to be running down from the radiator side. The connection is so far up in there I can't see exactly what's going on. So, looks like I gotta start jerking stuff out the top and possibly take my entire radiator out(?) to get down there to see what's going on.

Whats the easiest way to get to the lower rad hose so I can take a look at this leak?

Before next winter I've been wanting to install a block heater, the kind that installs into your lower rad hose, so I guess now would be a good time to get that done.

Any advice? Thanks.

Take your air cleaner box out and you can get at it just fine. If you need more room take out the e-fan to. Its only 2 screws and a plug so easy to do.

if you cant see it, how are we supposed to?

airbox, and efan removal should be step 1, looooooong before you say 'help i cant see!' LOOK HARDER!... or take it to a mechanic if you cant handle it.

I would be more worried about it being the water pump failing and leaking.

Probably what it is anyway. But, he needs to take a look. I would start by shining a flashlight up from underneath. If it's dripping down the engine side of the hose, probably water pump or leaking thermostat housing.

Seems to be coming from the radiator side of the hose, so I've got my fingers crossed on it just being a clamp or something like that.

For some reason can't really get to it from the bottom. Seems like there was a frame bracket there and some other stuff. Don't exactly remember now.

Looks like I'll be able to jerk the air box and e-fan and get to things just fine.

Have advice elsewhere that I might go ahead and take my radiator out to do a pro-active coolant system check, which probably wouldn't hurt.

So, say I get my radiator out and I'm inspecting. What should I look for in the way of worn equipment, etc?

Thanks.

Just pull the e-fan and you'll probably see what you're looking for.

If you pull the radiator, take it to a radiator shop and have them flow test it. You're not gonna tell much by looking at it yourself, unless it's an obvious leak.

It should be easy enough to see with the air cleaner box off, which is easy to do. Look especially at the point where the lower hose crosses over the power steering lines. This is a tight spot, and sometimes chafes a hole in the rad. hose. I always add a shield to mine there.

Back