• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I drain radiator without making a mess

sleestack

NAXJA Forum User
I need to drain the rad but in the past I would just pull the lower hose and put a bucket under it and hope to catch some of the fluid. This doesn't fly in the city. So does anyone know of a cleaner way to catch the fluid in a bucket maybe even reuse it, it's about one year old about 5k miles.

My 97 has a drain on the passenger side of the radiator. I remove the grill insert and headlight surround plastic to get to it easy but can be done with just the grill off. I attach a length of hose to the drain and direct it down into a bucket, open drain and remove radiator cap.

On many vehicles I try to stay sway from using the drain as it seems to break and strip out, so be careful.

I usually run the eater hose like crazy and try to hit the bucket LOL

Get a bigger bucket. A rubber maid storage bin from lowes or someplace works great. I've used that method several times and reused the fluid. Usually end up missing less than 1/2 a quart.

Get a bigger bucket. QUOTE]

LMAO

that is exactly what I was going to say :D

...but not to be an @$$ but you can take the chance of screwing with the drain and still spilling some coolant AND breaking the drain off, or "get a bigger bucket" and have it "drained and contained" in a few minutes.

I'm not too worried about breaking the drain because I plan to change the radiator.

Isn't there some drain plug under the engine block?

Isn't there some drain plug under the engine block?

There is a 10 or 12mm square plug in the driver's side of the block, that unless you have the intake/exhaust off, is pretty tight to get to. It's also barely lower on the motor than the waterpump. So if you're replacing the waterpump, you're going to have the block wide open, and you'll be able to flush most of it from the front.

rad3.jpg

waterpump.jpg

(that's water all over the driveway from the flushing, not coolant) ;)

There is a 10 or 12mm square plug in the driver's side of the block, that unless you have the intake/exhaust off, is pretty tight to get to. It's also barely lower on the motor than the waterpump. So if you're replacing the waterpump, you're going to have the block wide open, and you'll be able to flush most of it from the front.

rad3.jpg

waterpump.jpg

(that's water all over the driveway from the flushing, not coolant) ;)

Shiney new water pump, and a good looking beer!!

Back