• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shim degree for SYE with 4.5'' lift kit

McGraw

NAXJA Forum User
I just ordered my 4.5'' lift kit from DPG Offroad (the Super Ultimate XJ Old Man Emu hybrid kit) and now want to order my Slip Yoke Eliminator and Driveshaft kit from IRON ROCK. I'm wondering what degree shims should I get??? The 4 or 6 degree.

When the lift kit is already installed, I know you can take some mesures....but since I need to order this right now, I would need some feedback !
(anyone running a similar set up?)

Last edited:
I,m running a similar lift (ht) and am using a 4* shim.Yours as well as mine might change as the springs settle.

You could need anywhere between 4 and 8 degrees. I would find a local source for the shims. Get them AFTER installing the SYE and MEASURING. Or buy both and sell or return the ones you don't need.

You could need anywhere between 4 and 8 degrees. I would find a local source for the shims. Get them AFTER installing the SYE and MEASURING. Or buy both and sell or return the ones you don't need.

Yeah, that what I was thinking too. I might just install it and then buy the shims. Problem not much local 4x4 parts store arround my brothers place (that's where I'm going to intall the kit during vacations).

I did the 4* based on my search results and it was not enough so I swapped in a 6* and haven't had any vibes..

as you already know I think we have the same setup.. If you google " naxja outkastboss sye pinion ? " my thread on what my measurements were is posted there.. Sorry can't post link from phone very easily.. Same reason I haven't answered your pm yet. (sorry)

I've been lazy and didn't remeasure w the 6* in I will today or tomorrow. I recommend you measure yours but I'd start w a 6* .. Also I'd get a digital andle finder maybe it's just me but my gauge style magnetic angle finders kinda hard for me to read

another variable is dirk changed my front coils from the standard kit to the v8 g.c. Ones when I told him I had aftermarket bumper/winchon order . to prevent sag he said it'd drive like crap and have high nose if I drove w my stock bumper for long which I didn't do at all since I did lift bumper winch and inner steering box reinforcement all at once.. Sorry I forgot to mention the different front coils in the pm reply about the lift.. Just plain forgot

Last edited:
Call Tom Woods and ask what you need.

I told them what I was doing, demoing my 1.25" TC drop and doing the SYE. I measured the angle of my shaft and pinion with a cheap protractor ($25 at home depot).

Even with all these variables, they were able to pin it down to a 5 degree shim.

With Rubicon Express no longer around (atleast for the time being) I was happy they had them to sell for only $25.

Measurement came out perfect, I highly recommend Tom Woods.

so I went out and measured and just like I figured w my math in my other thread mine is 3* under with the 6* shim. Most i found went 2 4 6 8 and an 8 would only be 1 under. Iirc you want 2 to 3 under.. Apparently tom woods cuts 5's so I bet they'd have a 7.
and if I had more $ I'd have they're d shaft .(well I like havin one spare though) I'm happy w what I ended up w . F.y.i. Use an angle finder on ur shims the first set from iron rock were not right and not even the same size visually.. Second set was perfect but still the 4* ones I got as my guess.. I almost bought 4 and 6 off the bat.. Last set got off fleabay.

I got 2.5" wide steel ones and you want the ones the center pin goes through to integrate it to the leaf. Saw some alums I wouldn't trust 'em and some horseshoe ones that just slip in. I.m.o. If they slip in they could slip out.. And in case I've confused you or myself lol I ended up w 6* w the same lift from Dirk over there at D.P.G. Who has the best service out of any company I've dealt w ever. He fielded numerous calls and tolerated all my newB ?'s lol ... Well after he was paid!

Last edited:
OutkastBoss, I went for the lighter coil for my kit with spacers, since I was looking for a softer ride and I not planing of putting heavy bumper and winch for now. Probably have to change them if I do however.

I'll probably order the 6'' shims and do my mesurments when I install the 4.5'' lift kit. If the degree is not large enough then I'll get the right ones.

Thanks guys for the fast answers and info!

I have the RE 4.5" superflex lift, Tom Woods shaft, SYE and I needed 6* shims to get it right.

Tedious because the first time I had put in the 4* and it wasn't enough so I had to go back and redo it.

Back