• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 4.0L 4x2 Transmission Problems

dgxj99

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all,

I've been a member for a while and really appreciate all the posts since theyve helped me with various issues over the years. Thanks!

My problems with the 99 4.0L 4x2 automatic (no jokes please, both me and the Jeep are from Florida, don't need 4x4 too much there! haha) started up late last year and I got to a point where I was in need of something more reliable for my long commute and planning to repair the Jeep at my convenience. With that said, I could not bear to let anyone have my scuttled XJ and have kept it in my backyard.

The problem with it: When it started the transmission was grinding a little in reverse but still functional. A couple months later I was driving to work and trying to accelerate down a merge lane but the transmission would not shift up. Later, the same day going to the transmission shop it slipped out of gear and seemed to be in neutral. This happened at any stop after that point in time. Id have to shift to park, stop the engine, start the engine and then continue until the next time I'd have to stop and repeat the process.

I looked under the Jeep and realized that it is the American transmission and not the Japanese one, don't remember the exact terms for each, but I know what I'm looking at.

I want to make sure I look into all ways to fix this problem. So far I'm looking into used transmissions to replace mine, to the tune of about $1100 total. I understand that a 4x4 conversion is possible too, but cant find anyone to do it yet. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have an idea of what I should do, short of scrapping the jeep?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
when my aw4 started slipping on my 90, i bought a junkyard transmission for $150... no idea how realistic that is on a 99, shouldve thought about that before you bought a late model vehicle!

4x4 conversions are pretty easy, everything came from the factory setup for a common chassis... the problem comes when you need the little parts. thats when you wish you had a donor vehicle...

i would fix it.

Back