• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo no worky - any way to test sensor?

Spidey

NAXJA Forum User
This is a 1992 model with the NP242...

I just replaced the Tcase housing (damaged when the rear drive shaft went bye-bye at 70mph on the highway).
I think I might have hosed up the speed sensor or speedo gear when I installed it in the new housing. The sensor is threaded, and I heard a cracking noise when I was wrenching it back into the housing.

I've looked at the plastic speedo gear, and it appears to be crack-free. After consulting the GoJeep site, I have verified that the sensor is in the proper range for the number of gear teeth. I am going to pull out the sensor again tonight and look at it again, but wondered if there is anything else I can do to test it? It worked just fine before I replaced the Tcase housing and rear drive shaft!

You can bench test the VSS, which for 92 is a reed switch type. The two terminals are either shorted or open depending on the angular position. Use a multimeter or continuity tester while slowly spinning the shaft. For every turn of the shaft it should cycle several times.

On the 231 the speedo gear is offset a little bit and i had to rotate the gear housing so it matches up with the main gear inside. Not sure if its the same with the 242 but you can give it a try.

X2 on rotating the speedo to get a gear mesh. On some, there are tooth numbers on the insert, and you should rotate it to the point that matches the number of teeth on the gear.

I just replaced the VSS on my '92 NP231. I didn't have it turned right when i put it in, so I had to rotate it and it now works like a charm.

My old one had worn the square shaft of the VSS round so it stopped reading the speed.

Replacement was pretty cheap on rockauto.com. was $25

Update:
Last night I pulled out the sensor & gear, put it back in, gave it a couple wiggles and shakes and then put the retaining fork back on...

It worked!!!

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. This is by far the most friendly and knowledgeable auto-related forum on the web!

Back