• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to place speakers?

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
I recently recieved a set of Kenwood 6x9's for my B-day, and am kinda wondering where to stick them, especially since I recently realized that when my doors are off I dont have any toons :doh: (by far not my brightest moment). Anyways, I cant put them in the back hatch because I dont have one...actually, I dont have anything behind the rear seat except about 10 inches at the base of it and 5 at the top. After much deliberation, measuring, and pondering it seems my options are either the kick panels, in some boxes behind the rear seat, or get a sound bar and move it up behind the front seats.

Each comes with its own hassles and worries though...Kick panels they will obviously get kicked (they are water resistant speakers so that eleviates some of the worry there), behind the rear seat I dont know how much they will get muffled out, and the sound bar would be easy except I have a overhead console so I would need to also get a new headliner (or ride around with a gaping hole in the one I have.

Any thoughts or other ideas that I might have overlooked?

Thanks,

Jmeti000

Re: Were to place speakers?

in the center console, insert the speakers into either side facing the seats.
I would probably use smaller speakers if you could, otherwise you'll have to offset them depending on their depth.

possibly under the rear seats, facing forward in the upright metal plate running from side to side.

under the front seats in an enclosed box facing whichever direction you want.

when I cut out the rear roof behind the rear seats I moved my overhead speaker enclosure forward ('97 and older, '98 it's part of the headliner)

Re: Were to place speakers?

Headrests.

Mazda Miata.

I had the same problem and just dealt with it for over a year until I found some initiative and relocated my speakers.

I took the stock kick panels and used a leatherman to poke 4 holes where the speaker screws would line up, then I just started cutting a hole in the center and trimmed out whatever I needed to till the speakers fit inside. After that it was just a matter of stripping wire ends and connecting them till they could be hooked up to the speakers. Then I simply screwed the kick panels back in and done...speakers up front. I'll take some pics tomorrow, it came out real clean.

As far as them getting kicked, I have an automatic so my foot just rests next to it. I have no covers on them so they are vulnerable but it hasn't become a problem yet. They are pretty much out of the way.

Also I have regular 6 inch speakers and my XJ was just left out in a 15hr rainstorm with the doors off and the speakers were unharmed.

Pics would be much appreciated. Im still adding up all the pros and cons of each one, but am leaning towards either the kick panels or scrounging for a xj sound bar. If I do the kick panels, then I will probably go and spend some coin on a pair of 4x10's to put in the back, and If I get the sound bar I will be doing some fab work to incorporate it in somehow with the overhead console. Decisions decisions...think im gonna sleep on it for now and continue deliberation tomorrow.

Im at work now but when I get home ill take pics.

Whatever you do don't buy the kick panels with the speaker holes in them. IIRC they're around 180 and they put the speaker far out into the footrest area. I didn't spend a dime (had the speakers laying around) and it took me an hour to do because it was my first time messing with wires and I was improvising.

Not hard at all

DSC00728.jpg

DSC00729.jpg

Passenger side
2011-07-07_16-59-52_444.jpg

Driver side. You can see how little it sticks out
2011-07-07_17-00-22_996.jpg

Inside of the driver kick panel
2011-07-07_17-02-31_73.jpg

\m/

I don't have any pics at the time.
But I have a 8" speaker with tweeter installed in a box.
Placed right between the two front seats.
Works great for me.

any depth/clearance issues with those speakers? how did you wire them...reroute the door wires or run new ones to the headunit?

I think the back of the speakers would prevent you from completely screwing in the kick panel but one screw is enough to hold it in place and you can see from my second pic that it doesn't force the kick panel out much at all.

To wire them up the easy way,

1) Remove the kick panel, mock up the speakers, and mark the holes you will make for the screws to hold the speaker in.

2) Cut a hole in the center of those 4 holes for the back of the speaker to fit through (guesstimate)

3) Separate the disconnect for the speaker wires (was green for me with 2 thin wires)

4) Go into the door speakers so you can snip the wires closest to the speaker as possible. Take the piece you just cut out and reconnect it to the Jeep.

5) The side that you cut from the speaker, strip the ends about a half inch and you should be able to connect the exposed wire to a positive and negative on the back of the speaker.

6) Repeat on the other side and screw in the kick panels

Back