• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

taking a big leap into truss fab

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
I have all the parts to build a high steer, aussie locked, 5 on 5.5 waggy front d44 for my XJ and need to get this project done. I currently have a Rusty's longarm system on the rig, and I have a spare D30 diff with control arms attached for using as a template.
I am looking to build something similar to the tnt truss. I can weld decently but for this I will tack on the goods and have them burned in by a pro.

My plan is to build a jig using the 'spare D30' as a template. I'll weld up a framework to hold the D30 in position having the proper pinion angle for my lift, then weld up brackets to lock the control arms into place there. Remove the d30 and put the D44 housing in place and fab the brackets so that the link bolt holes are in the proper place to bolt up to the locked control arms. I am thinking that it should not matter if the frame side of the control arms are not in the 'proper' place for the jig, because the relationship of the centres of the axle side bolt holes never change, regardless of the position of the control arms.

does this make sense? am I overcomplicating or overlooking something?

soooooo.... let me get this strait. you plan to build an entire jig to mimick your XJ, and build with that? why not just use your XJ on jack stands?

with as much time and effort as it sounds like your planning to spend, youd be better off just buying a TNT truss.

I knew I had seen it somewhere on the net and finally found it. madxj.com did exactly that.
Yep, and it isn't a terrible idea if you want to keep the stock control arm mounting locations on the axle. But while you are doing new mounts, why not raise the mounts up to keep them out of rocks/obstacles? Now is the best time to do it.

soooooo.... let me get this strait. you plan to build an entire jig to mimick your XJ, and build with that? why not just use your XJ on jack stands?
Because if he uses his XJ on jackstands, he would still need to find a way to solidly attach arms to it so they are in the correct location, and can not move. Just putting stock control arms in there won't put the mounts in the correct locations relative to each other, since the arms can move in an arc, and do have side to side movement due to the bushings. It is much easier and faster to create the jig than use the XJ on jackstands.

with as much time and effort as it sounds like your planning to spend, youd be better off just buying a TNT truss.

Every person I know, including myself, who has purchased the TNT truss has had it fit pretty horribly. I wouldn't buy it again, and none of the people I know would either. Is it easy and puts the mounts in roughly the correct locations, but you can easily build a stronger and better fitting truss from scratch, and for much less money.

Thanks Begster - I do like the idea of moving the mounts up and might do that if I am comfortable with how it is working out.

I'm really looking for validation of my train of thought here - but it is tough to explain.
It seems to me that the critical dimension is the relationship of the axle side control arm mounting points to each other, as well as the axle. If you look at that jig on the madxj site, it really wouldn't matter if the frame side of the control arms were higher or lower. I realize there are limits because at some point the control arms would bind but generally speaking if the control arms are relatively flat and parallel....:dunno:

So when I build my jig the location of the frame side mounting points won't matter and I won't have to 'mimic my XJ' because the relationships on the axle side will be maintained at all times - ie, as long as the control arms are bolted to the axle, if you weld the control arms together using braces then remove the axle, the axle side mounting points will still be in the proper places. Then I can put the Dana 44 in the jig (slightly lower to raise the mounting points) and fab up the control arm brackets in place.

I'm pretty comfortable that the idea will work, just like to have other people's input as I might have missed something.

VAhasnoWAVES - yes, of course I could just buy a tnt or any other truss but that won't be anywhere near as much fun or satisfying as building my own.

Every person I know, including myself, who has purchased the TNT truss has had it fit pretty horribly. I wouldn't buy it again, and none of the people I know would either. Is it easy and puts the mounts in roughly the correct locations, but you can easily build a stronger and better fitting truss from scratch, and for much less money.
I can honestly say I spent almost as much time modifying my TNT truss to fit as it would have taken to build one

Back