• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another Cowl CAI

BMWGuy

NAXJA Forum User
Borrowed heavily from others. Spectre makes the hose and the fittings (about $30 total). I used a rotary cutting bit and my Dremel tool to remove the material in the cowl and air box then cleaned it up with a stone bit. Self-tapping sheet metal screws for the cowl fitting and 1/4 x 1/2 nuts and bolts for the airbox. Used a spare plastic body putty spreader to cover the orig. airbox opening. Black RTV everywhere. Black spray paint on the front of the airbox inside and out. Butt dyno says 20hp increase. Laws of physics say zero. I expected a howl from the cowl but maybe my radio's too loud!

IMG_20110704_143158-1.jpg

IMG_20110704_143158-1.jpg

Autozone
air duct hose part no. 8741 ( 1 @ 24.99)
air duct mounting plate part no. 8148 (2 @ $5.99)

It's a little more than $30 I quoted earlier. The mounting plates make for a clean install. No hood clearance problems either. I did have to move the wiring harness away from the cowl.

I had already bought the 4" PVC elbows and tubes (for the other popular cowl induction) but it just didn't look like it was gonna fit.

Last edited:
Back