• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with starter

aolivett

NAXJA Forum User
my car doesn't start with the ignition anymore, so i have to use a screwdriver from underneath to start it now which is pretty annoying. anyone know what to do?

1. Check the wire that triggers the starter solenoid. The small wire should go hot when the key is in the start position. Use a voltmeter. Also, if you have access to a manual start remote, us that to confirm the solenoid is good. If it will turn over with the remote, you could have a broken wire to the solenoid. If it does not turn, the solenoid is most likely shot. See Number 2...
2. Replace starter.

Being that he has to use the screwdriver method I'm guessing the starters not getting the signal to it. I'd start like steamer said to see if the small wire goes hot when turned on, if not check the fuses on the PDC under the hood then check the wire coming from the ignition switch on the column to see if it's sending the signal. You've likely either got a blown fuse or the ignition switch might have crapped out, kind of hard to help anyone determine where to look first without knowing the basics of the xj to know which model we're guessing at.

Back