• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what shocks?

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
ok so soon i want to go to a better shock but i don't know if i want the 7100 series by bilstein or the fox piggy back non coilover. Let me know what you think. and this jeep is not for jeepspeed just want some smooth.

Vehicle specs. 96 cherokee with 4.5 RC lift short arm for now might go to long arm after a while but most likely will stay with short arm for now.

5150's and 5160's are not rebuildable.... on the 5160 you have to drill and tap a schraeder valve to rebuild them without sending them back to bilstein.... LAMMMMME.
ive also had problems with the 5150's lower eyelet coming loose.... which is a pain in the ass.

fox2.0's, ftw. even if you get the non-reservoir. 7100's are just as nice though.

i run about that height, 10" foxes worked well for me up front, out back was another story.... you might have to mess with short body 7100's, depending on existing setup. i went thru the cab.

From what I've heard, the 5150s are a waste of money (over the 5100s) unless you do a lot of high-speed driving with non-rebuildable shocks (or you just want piggyback reservoirs for aesthetics).

I have the 5100s and am quite happy, but kinda wish I'd saved a little more money and bought some 7100s as long-term investments (rebuildable, revalvable).

Personally, if I had the money to throw at nicer shocks, I'd look at drop brackets instead (assuming your current shocks aren't flat-out bad, or really crappy). You'd likely notice far more ride quality improvement from them rather than shocks (even with my 5100s I would benefit tremendously from drop brackets - 4.5" RE short-arm lift here).

Back