• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing AC rad

OttawaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to remove the AC rad from my 1994 XJ and it looks like I need to take off the whole front clip of the damn jeep to get it out. The other issue is one of the bolts for the front clip is so close to one side i cant fit a socket or wrench over it so I'm hoping you guys have a better method to remove it.

My AC rad is the entire length of the Engine rad so its causing quite a bit of issues for me heat wise when I'm wheeling in 34 degree weather out. Running a trail at 4km/h with the heat on so you dont overheat gets old real quick.

Got any pics of how you did it?

I dont have any pics but you only have to remove the header panel and that wasn't hard for me even living in the NE where every rode gets blast with salt in the winter.

As in the front portion which is steel on the older XJs and plastic on the newer ones? Like grill and headlight mounts etc type thing. Because thats the part that has a bolt super close to the edge so you cant use a socket or wrench on it.

No problem at all to pull the front nose clip off. I have done it many times to work on my trans cooler. Just a few nuts on top and a few by the the head lights. Need to remove the grill and the headlight bezel. Very easy even living in the north east with the salt and the rust.

Bill

Yeah I know how to do that, my problem is the nut for the top drivers side behind the headlight bezel is too close to the edge of the steel so you cant get a socket over it or a wrench onto it.

Unless you have an idea as to how I could get the socket on that short of just bashing up the front clip with a hammer to make the socket fit im all ears.

Wow I dont remember any of them being hard to get to. Do you have a pic of the bolt/nut?

I just pulled mine a few couple months ago... Granted its a 98, but all I did was...
-pull the grill
-Undo the hood latch
-remove the radiator support on top (4 bolts?)
slide the radiator up out of its supports and gently push it back...

Doing all this should give you access to the ac radiator.
AND, If you arent planning on keeping the ac just cut the lines, the majority of my time was spent trying to get 12 year old lines apart with that F'n disconect tool.

I just pulled mine a few couple months ago... Granted its a 98, but all I did was...
-pull the grill
-Undo the hood latch

AND, If you arent planning on keeping the ac just cut the lines, the majority of my time was spent trying to get 12 year old lines apart with that F'n disconect tool.

That's the way to do it.

Yup, that is pretty much how I did mine. And a sawzall on the lines.
I miss the AC at times, but I needed more airflow over the radiator.

-pull the grill
-Undo the hood latch

The bottom line is that if the radiator and the condenser are both clean and functioning correctly there should be no overheating problem. I have run my 4.7L stroker for years with the AC on at high altitude and heat and never had a problem. Make sure your electric fan is working and the clutch fan is working.

The bottom line is that if the radiator and the condenser are both clean and functioning correctly there should be no overheating problem. I have run my 4.7L stroker for years with the AC on at high altitude and heat and never had a problem. Make sure your electric fan is working and the clutch fan is working.

True story. Perhaps the OP's radiator, fan clutch, water pump or thermostat are in need of attention. Or, all of the forementioned items?

-pull the grill
-Undo the hood latch

i took the radiator support off and loosened just the top of the grill. i was able to push the radiator far enough back, and pull the grill far enough forward to wiggle the AC component out without damaging or scratching anything. was only like... 6 bolts, maybe a couple more. took just 5 minutes, but my system was free a freon and i had the AC tool for the connectors.

Yeah its a simple thing when all the bolts are accessible I did this on my 98 XJ and it took maybe 2 hours including screwing around with other things at the same time. However with this one the top right hand bolt for the front fascia is in a little crevous that is surrounded on 3 sides by the raised edges of the steel fascia. The problem is my socket wont fit around the nut because the edges of the crevous are too close to the bolt. didnt have this issue on the other side.

As for overheating you guys are thinking thermostat, water pump and or coolant is the issue? Rad is brand new, all new lines. Not sure about the thermostat but the waterpump does look pretty nasty. I'll go see how much a new one will run me and maybe swap that out next weekend. As for the AC its already been cut and drained I just need to get the damn system out now lol.

The nut shouldn't be on to tight so what about getting a thin wall socket for that nut. I'm thinking it sounds like either the front end of your xj has been tweaked or the fenders or something as the nut/bolts sit centered in the holes on both sides. With one side being closer than the other side it's been bent somehow.

When I yanked it out of my 95 (rusted lines, dead ac anyway) I did as others here suggest, took the radiator support/hood latch portion off, and simply lifted it all out.

In case it's not made clear, the way to do this is to remove radiator and condenser together, then take them apart and put the rad. back. Trying to get the condenser off with the rad. still in is much harder.

Back