• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing engine, torque converter bolt?

alwayzAMC

NAXJA Forum User
removing a donor block for a stroker build out of a 99 i am parting out, are there torque converter bolts i should be worrying about ? have pulled a few chevy engines, this is my first i-6 removal. so figured i'd ask in here to make sure,

i did a search, but got lost in too many build threads, giving me way too many costly ideas.. now am thinking turbo.. heh heh

thanks for the help :)

was afraid of that, engine is stuck, pistons detonated.. is there a way to do it without turning the engine over ?

not the top ones. pull the transfer case, then the motor/tranny as a unit. OR if your a manly man, with a nice paved shop floor... pull it all as one. id recommend pulling the transfer case.

nope, no nice paved floor here, old barn with a wooden floor that looks like it belongs in the fun house at a circus. shall get the vinnagar out, fill up my cylinders, and hope i can get the pistons unstuck.

thanks for the info.

Options:

- Pull engine/trans/transfer case as a unit.
- Pull engine/trans as a unit, remove tcase undercar.
- Remove engine only. Remove bellhousing screws. The torque converter slips into the transmission, and will come out with the engine.
- Remove bellhousing & torque converter screws, remove engine only.

Frankly, I find it easiest to leave the torque converter attached to the flexplate (whether I'm removing the engine or transmission,) then detach the torque converter once the engine has been removed.

Remove the head and the oil pan then remove offending piston/s. I have seen plenty of broken torque converters (the lip that goes into the oil pump and seal) when the transmission is removed minus the torque converter.

pulled them all as a complete unit then seperated on the ground, thanks for the tips..

now off to research stroker recipes.

Back