• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch wires

RenegadeT

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ/4.0L/AW4...seems like I'm not getting any power thru the ignition switch, no electrical power is evidnet. Grounds look OK, battery has 12V. Which wires do I need to jump to get this thing started and keep running.

I have the following wires going into the steering column ignition switch...
Blue connector: fat BLUE, fat PURPLE, medium YELLOW w/green or blue stripe
Middle black connector: fat RED, fat ORANGE
lower black connector: small gauge PURPLE w/wht and sm. GRAY or BROWN w/ black stripe

Well, there should be 12v at the red wire. If not, you need to look "upstream". Are you sure the fuses are good? Don't just look, check continuity.

My '93 FSM shows the Purple (Violet) and Orange are connected to red (12v) with the key in the RUN position. The yellow goes to the starter relay.

A Violet/Yellow (maybe look white on yours) is the Inst cluster. Grey/White to the brake warning and park brake switch.

Dark Blue to the PCM, Fuse #6, ASD, and FP relay

I confirmed continuity thru every fuse, both underdash and in the PDC.
12V at the fat red wire. Swapped ignitoin switched, same result.
I d'loaded he 90 and 93 FSM, cant seem to match either to my 91. Since its a GM column, I would think the position might be consitent?

I've done some googling, found this thread with a pic in post#19
http://www.s10planet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19755
that post shows 9 wires, I only have 7

HIS / mine (left to right)
PINK / dark blue
BROWN / purple
RED / -empty-
PURPLE / yellow w/grn

RED/red
ORNG/orng

I can't tell how his 3 small gauge wire correspond with my 2, I don't think I need them (?).

I'm thinking jump the RED and ORANGE to turn ignition on, then hit the yellow w/grn temp with 12V to start.

shoot, I should know this. I wired my ignition to two toggle switches and a push button, so I went thru all of this, on a 91 even. I'll look thru my pics and see what i can come up with.

Fail. It seems that over the last two years I've lost all my photos and notes.

I'm thinking jump the RED and ORANGE to turn ignition on, then hit the yellow w/grn temp with 12V to start.

<Disclaimer /on>
Sounds right based on the diagram I have.

If that doesn't work, try pulling a 12v supply from some other location.
<Disclaimer /off>

did you get this figured out by chance? i'm gonna be doing this to my 91 trail rig since i broke the key off again and am tired of it.

reason i'm mainly asking is i can't find my chiltons or haynes manuals and need a diagram of some kind. :)

never mind, i stole my kids library card and went and looked at a chiltons :D

in other words............... i figured it out. :clap:

Back