• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You have a thousand bucks to spend..

Bumper/winch comba

• Hanson bumper (or similar) and cheaper winch Ie:XRC8

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Cheaper bumper (like the logans metal fab) and Warn 9000i (or similar)

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • niether

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
do you buy the $300 bumper, and the $700 winch..

or do you buy the $700 bumper and the $300 winch..

Please vote.

Logan's metal bumper and good winch. I have the Logan's bumper and would buy it again.

Will the cheaper bumper support the more expensive winch?

Get the best bumper you can, then wait until you have the funds and by a good winch.

I'll be the oddball. I skimped on the winch. I got a Smittybilt XRC10, and it hasn't let me down yet whether dragging a dead Chevy 3/4 ton onto a 2 foot high trailer with no ramps or dragging a Ford F350 through clay mud up to it's framerails or a Ford F250 through different mud, it's been worked hard and aside from my electrical system temporarily not being up to the task, it hasn't let me down yet. All three pulls were completed and the winch still works. :D The amp draw isn't a problem anyways if you're looking at a Warn. They draw fairly high loads as well. After reading a recent test of multiple winches (Warn and Superwinch for the higher end, and a bunch of cheapos (Engo, Harbor Freight, etc), I'd have no problem getting an Engo or T-Max. They both were near the top performance-wise (T-Max was one of two still functioning at the end - Warn wasn't) but were marked down for silly crap like stickers, instruction manual, box, etc. The max pull test is what did a lot of em in. Warn pulled a max of 16,000 with a 9k winch and then blew apart its insides. I think Superwinch was 500 lbs behind and T-Max I think either matched the Warn or was close; but it kept working afterwards.

EDIT:Found the article
Stall Test
After the speed and efficiency test, we returned to our shop space to wrap up our objective testing. We borrowed a 20,000-pound analog load cell from our good friends at King Crane in Scotts Valley, California. The unit displays, in pounds, how much force is being applied to the device and featured shackle attachment points on each end. We fabricated a test platform that would allow us the ability to secure a winch in a multi-mount at one end, while the load cell was affixed to the other end. The system was massive and could only be moved using a forklift. We used a 10-foot section of ½-inch steel cable to ensure that cable stretch or breakage would not be an issue. The arrangement would allow each winch to reach its maximum pulling power or stall point, while the gauge recorded the maximum pound rating. As you might expect, many of the winches did not survive this torture test.

Results
Winch Max Pull (lb) Result
Bulldog 10,000 Broke internal parts, would not work after test
Engo 12,000 All functions still worked after test
Superwinch 15,900 Would not spool out after test
T-Max 16,000 All functions still worked after test
Warn 16,000 Broke internal parts, would not work after test
(Summit Racing, Harbor Freight, Kodiak units inoperative.)

http://fourwheeler.automotive.com/163062/129-1107-massive-multi-winch-shootout/winch-speed-test.html

Last edited:
I have a Logan prerunner, I couldn't call it cheap, but with intentions of buying the M8000 in the next few days, if the bumper begins to fail, I could always beef it up. Not much to do with a cheap winch.

$300 bumper,$300 winch,and $300 locker

There is a member over at cherokeeforum that builds nice winch bumpers (under 300$ shipped) littleleonard (somenumbers I can't think of) is his username. www.landlfabrication.com is his site. blondjon got a bumper from him..

Back