• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck Knuckles

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
I been trying to pin point a few problems from my stock dana HP35. I have 6.5" adjustable control arm lift sitting on 31" Procomp Mud Terrans.

Issues have been as follows
- Death wobble
- inner tire wear
- Pulls to the left fairly hard when brakes are applied

The Deathe Wobble has almost disappeared with replacing all the bushings.

The inner tire wear I have checked my alignment to be at 1/4" Toe-In. Also measured my lower control arms to be 3/8" off from each other. I also attempted to replace the Ball Joint but failed. Failed due to being unable to detach the knuckle from the axle. And yes I did remove the two ball joint bolts all the way. I hammered on the knuckle downwards fairly hard and don't want to hammer any harder due to they are cast steel. So how should I go about with removing these darn things? :dunno:

This sounds dumb, but did you remove the castle nuts off the ball joints before hammering? Removing the knuckle was extremely easy on my HP30 - pressing the ball joints, though, was impossible with the POS Harbor Freight ball joint press I had at the time.

Hit them harder. Or maybe it's different on HP35.

Ya way different since I don't even have HP35, but rather a HP30. The 35 is what I have in the rear. Oooooppppssssss thats just showing how much this entire front end has been bugging me.

Good thing I've got a complete Waggy outside with stock 44's and no 4X4 vacum. But the bad is I can't afford the rest of the parts.

This sounds dumb, but did you remove the castle nuts off the ball joints before hammering? Removing the knuckle was extremely easy on my HP30 - pressing the ball joints, though, was impossible with the POS Harbor Freight ball joint press I had at the time.

Yeppers I moved them completly off. Also I've done alot research on this and I keep earing about making sure that the C-clip is removed. I could not find any C-clip and the new ball joints never came with one.

You have removed the unit bearing and axle shaft? Disconnected the tie rod end from the knuckle?

Yea I don't like to Drink and Wrench. So YES everything was un-bolted, but the darn things just would not come apart. All I had was the axle tube and the knuckle together.

got 2 4lb sledge hammers? hold one on the top off the knuckle, strike with the other one.

If the top and bottom castle nuts have been loosened (not removed), it should be easy to get the knuckle to come off. I use a 5lb hammer and a little down pressure with a prybar. Tap the side of the knuckle at the ball joint alternating between the top portion and the bottom portion of the knuckle. In the worst case use a pickle fork.

If the top and bottom castle nuts have been loosened (not removed), it should be easy to get the knuckle to come off. I use a 5lb hammer and a little down pressure with a prybar. Tap the side of the knuckle at the ball joint alternating between the top portion and the bottom portion of the knuckle. In the worst case use a pickle fork.

Didn't think of using the fork. I'll have to give that a shot.

^This, They will pop right off!

^ This method work really good for the stock knuckle on the driver side, but the tera flex high steer knuckle took quick alot more harder hits to come off. I'll have to remeber this way of removing things that need hammering. Thanks

^ This method work really good for the stock knuckle on the driver side, but the tera flex high steer knuckle took quick alot more harder hits to come off. I'll have to remeber this way of removing things that need hammering. Thanks
no problem

I already took out and replaced the ball joints. Tomorrow I get to put it all back together with new brake pads.

Thanks For All The Help

Back