• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine dies and other issues

PanhandleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The following things occur only during hot summer months with jeep at operating temperature.....Any thoughts?

1996 XJ 4.0L automatic. All stock. (except for lift) well maintained with regular service. The problems below began all at once and do not happen on a regular basis

Temp gauge will climb to 230-240 when stopped....at same time outside air temp gauge will also climb to 110-115. Actual outside temp around 95 ( replaced radiator, fan clutch, hoses, belt, thermostat, block sensor with OEM parts)...no change. Aux fan works with AC on but does not come on until 235 without AC on. Temp gauge never goes above 240ish.

Every now and then the engine will die suddenly while stopped and the transmission in drive. It can only be restarted by placing gear shift in park. It will not start in neutral. It has died one time while idling in park Under any other normal conditions the jeep will start in neutral. The temp gauge can be normal or hot when this happens. When this happens she always starts right back up.

Lastly. When driving down the road at any speed, she will momentarily cut off then come right back again. Kind of jolts/shakes the jeep. It's like turning the ignition off then right back on again. It happens very quickly. At first I thought it was a transmission issue but had it checked out and no apparent problems there.

All of the above things happen intermittently. One day all is well. The next day she dies at a stop sign. The only constant is the outside air temp being somewhere above 85 degrees. no one in Pensacola seems to know what the problem is and I'm at a loss.

For the not starting in neutral problem it sounds like the neutral safety is a little gummy, our 1991 had to have the switch cleaned up (no reverse light and no neutral starting), its not all that hard. But that was years ago now.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neutral-safety-switch-nss/
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059310

That stalling sounds like CPS, except when it happened to me it wouldn't restart right away and it would do it on the run or at a stop.

Maybe ignition switch, something I read awhile back that suggest PCM problems could do it something about the screws. I'll see if I saved a link.

Although I would replace the CPS, a pain to reach, I had to get a special angled socket adapter and long extension to reach the bolts.

Back