• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud Clunking From Front Drivers Side

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Seems it happens when I turn right or some times at start up when i first turn the wheels a bit. Started out 3 months ago once in a while now happening all the time. Checked around cant find it any ideas. Cant afford to bring to mechanic rite now but seems thats the way its going. :shiver:

Check all of your hardware, CA's, track bar mount, steering etc. I have a slight clunk still periodically, and I believe its from the steering shaft that connects to the steering box.

Clunks and Pops are almost always track bar related. Is your XJ stock or lifted ? How many miles ? Inspect the track bar hardware for proper torque, inspect the bushing and tie rod style end for damage or excessive wear, check the axle side bolt hole and make sure it is not elongated. Consider buying a new track bar.

Of course, you also want to inspect the rest of the front suspension, bushings, fastener torque, ball joints, unit hubs, and tie rod ends.

Checked all I could visually it all looks beat up and old all bolts seem tight . And yes it is lifted 4 inch. Thought with some luck some would throw out a definate answer but what the hell off to the mechanic we go sucks.

You're lifted 4 inches with a stock track bar? Time for Iron Rock Offroad's double shear track bar setup.
Probably the joint attaching the TB to the frame bracket. Or the framebracket's mounting hole for the TB is wallowed out.

Track bar bracket could be moving or the joints worn out. I have also seen quite a few control arms where the bolt that holds the bushings has wallowed out the hole in the bracket and is sliding back and forth.

I had a loud pop/clunk and it ended up being the track bar. The bolts were all tight but at some point they must have loosened up. The shank of the bolts were dented in and was allowing movement. Might want to remove the bolts and inspect them before replacing the entire track bar.

I had a loud pop/clunk and it ended up being the track bar. The bolts were all tight but at some point they must have loosened up. The shank of the bolts were dented in and was allowing movement. Might want to remove the bolts and inspect them before replacing the entire track bar.

A good place to start is tightening the track bar bracket bolts to the frame. They were not tightened enough from the factory. We used to tighten them up during the Pre-Delivery Inspection so we wouldn't have to deal with it after the Jeep was driven by the customer for awhile. It's hard to see the movement there unless they're fairly loose, but a little loose you won't see it but it will still pop.

A good place to start is tightening the track bar bracket bolts to the frame. They were not tightened enough from the factory. We used to tighten them up during the Pre-Delivery Inspection so we wouldn't have to deal with it after the Jeep was driven by the customer for awhile. It's hard to see the movement there unless they're fairly loose, but a little loose you won't see it but it will still pop.

I would think if you are going to re-tighten them you may take the extra seconds to remove and inspect the hardware.

I would think if you are going to re-tighten them you may take the extra seconds to remove and inspect the hardware.
For the OP's vehicle that is understandable. But from to standpoint of working at a dealer and doing the inspection on new vehicles knowing that there is an issue tightening them up works just fine.

For the OP's vehicle that is understandable. But from to standpoint of working at a dealer and doing the inspection on new vehicles knowing that there is an issue tightening them up works just fine.

Not to seem like I'm arguing or anything but, I was referring to the OP, I was not making any comments about working at a dealer and working on brand new vehicles. Just not sure how that relates to the topic at hand. Sure that could have saved him the trouble now but it didn't obviously.

I just see people recommend re-tightening the track bar mounting bolts but no mention to inspect them. My thought is just if you are going to put a wrench on them, take them off first. Do them 1 at a time so you don't remove the bracket even. I was sure shocked at what I found and glad I caught it before it just sheered off.

Not to seem like I'm arguing or anything but, I was referring to the OP, I was not making any comments about working at a dealer and working on brand new vehicles. Just not sure how that relates to the topic at hand. Sure that could have saved him the trouble now but it didn't obviously.

I just see people recommend re-tightening the track bar mounting bolts but no mention to inspect them. My thought is just if you are going to put a wrench on them, take them off first. Do them 1 at a time so you don't remove the bracket even. I was sure shocked at what I found and glad I caught it before it just sheered off.
Common sense is rarely valued.

The point I was trying to make was that you can't SEE that they are loose all the time. And, it's a good idea to put a wrench on them since they're known to work loose or been installed with less than enough torque. I've found I could tighten up a bunch of them, old and new. In other words, don't overlook this simple check just because you don't see anything moving.

If you find they can be tightened a bit, you might want to remove and inspect the bolts. I've never had to. Just tightened them up and went onmy way. But, I never found any that were real loose either.

Thanks for.the help will check them in the morning. Hope this is it would.be nice to have such an easy fix. I do have one of those brackets on the bottom of my bar keeps the axle centered but yes the bar is stock may need to upgrade anyway. Thanks again will post back back if that's it.

Problem solved for now. Checked the track bar bracket was ok one bolt could just barley snug up on. And another up high that seems not motor mount then track bar was real loose was a bitch to tighten but done. Then checked the steering box all three were able to take a good pull on the wrench. Then just happen to look at the steering stabilizer and the upper bolt was loose able to take quite a few turns on it think this may have.been my problem. Kind of scary to think that many loose nuts and bolts on this thing will have.to start going over some stuff on this thing ... But thanks for all the help you guys may have saved me a trip to the mechanic hope it continues to be good

Glad to hear it after the suggestion was kind of pooh-poohed in the beginning. It's a real good place to start when tracking down this problem. Not saying a good visual inspection isn't good, too. Overlooking the fact that those bolts could be loose and not putting a wrench on them wouldn't be prudent.

Back