• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAR HATCH GLASS REPLACEMENT

CitySlicker

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone on here had experience with this?
I shattered mine on a tree. and have found NOTHING on the web about this specific problem..
My Xj is a 99 I got some "new" glass to put in, but don't want to get started down the wrong path..
My window seems to be glued in place. should I just put a bead of silicone around the frame and press the glass in-place, and trim it with the top of the old gasket?
thats where I'm leaning,,
Please advise. thanks..

No, you need specialized adhesive specifically made for auto glass installation, and you need a new gasket. By the time you pay for those two items, it would probably be cheaper to have a shop install your glass.

hate to say it, but those auto glass guys are quick, and cheap.... on my early model, all the rear windows are super easy to remove by hand.... but if it's glued in.. i'd call a proffessional, and i install glass for a living (not auto).

when you use silicone to glue in glass... it DOES NOT WANT to come out, it has no play.... so it'll be hard to pull it in the future. removeable glass is held in with softer stuff like butyl or mastic, which gives..... allowing you to pull it later on. at work, we had to litterally break 8-10 mirrors off a bathroom wall, because some yahoo deceided to supplement their mastic globs with silicone.... the silicone DOES NOT BUDGE.

so yeah, silicone WILL WORK... but dont plan on removing it ever again....

So I know im bringing up an old thread. But i recently broke my glass in my 98 and safelite wants 400+ bucks to replace it. I think thats insane. I have another hatch but its the wrong color and my jeep is still in too nice of shape for me to start with the multi color thing.

So is it really super hard to do?

Find the glass you want. Pull it from the donor hatch. Take your hatch and glass to a small time glass shop and have them install the used glass.

I didn't have much trouble doing mine after searching on here on how and what to use to glue it in..

the rubber trim around the window kind of just fills the gap and make it look good The glue seals it really.

the auto parts store had the glue there were 2 types and they had whatever type someone recommended on a thread here somewhere.

the rubber trim for the outside of the window I got at the dealer.

goo gone worked good for getting excess glue off .
and after I had it where I wanted it I taped it into place and fully opened hatch and secured it open with channel locks just in case. And let dry.

I used a few razorblades and a wire brush and goo gone to clean the old stuff off real good. That was the only annoying part.

but I keep paint matched spray touch up to help recover anytime I end up with any bare metal. So I'm pretty shure I touched that up w some paint as well before gluing..

Back