• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise from rear end

XJMallCruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Ive posted this on another site with no luck and searched google to no end... It does it only when coasting not under power... When your coasting and throw it to nuetral it quits an if you remove the rear drive shaft it quits... Ive replaced the u joint at the differential the one at the transfer case feels fine... Ive changed the diff fluid an inspected the ring an pinion an spiders an theres no chips broken teeth or unusual wear... The pinion has no front to back side to side or top to bottom movement... I have a 6.5 rough country lift... 33's.. A dana 35 rear aw4 trans an np242 transfer an a transfer drop... Im fixing to order a hack an tap since it quits with out my drive shaft an i need one anyway...

I know sounds are hard to explain.. But what it it your hearing? Could be the output shaft bearing in the t case making noise when under load. No rear DS, or In nuetral = no load. Could also be a pinion bearing in the D35 to.

Hmm... Id say sorta like a clunk.. As in... Man i just cant think... But i will say this... With it up on jacks with the tires off at like 30-40mph the transfer case sounds horrible... How hard and or expensive would it be to rebuild a 242

Hmm... Id say sorta like a clunk.. As in... Man i just cant think... But i will say this... With it up on jacks with the tires off at like 30-40mph the transfer case sounds horrible... How hard and or expensive would it be to rebuild a 242
Unless you just have to have full time 4WD I would throw a NP 231 in it and call it a day.

Well i would rather not even rebuild it ethier i just want this noiseto go away before it becomes a bigger problem... Maybe try anf just replace my transfer case out put shaft bearing?

Im thinking just buying the iron rock off road hack an tap sye with the rebuilt drive shaft... Since it quits when i remove the drive shaft... Could be clunking cause of the driveline angles... But id think id have some bad vibrations.... I barely have any an dont really feel any till after 70

It's called a fart....

Just kidding.. :dunce:

My dad's lifted 98 used to clunk and the problem was that the lift changed the angle of the drive shaft. What fixed it was a set of custom spacers he made to lower the arm that supports the transmission(where the transmission mount is located) to restore the factory drive shaft angle so it wouldn't be so steep.

Save your $$$ on gearing that D35!!!!! Go to the JY and get at least an 8.25 to stick under there and put gears in that.

Not only do i not have the $$ i really dont need it...'i could build this lol d35 up to withstand anything itll go go through... Mainly a mall cruiser may see the occasional mud and might play off road an get twisted everyonce in awhile nothing serious

Back