• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3rd row seat.

A7XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if any one has installed or atleast thought about installing a seat in the rear of an XJ. We have been using our cherokee as our family trail rig and camping rig. It is also my daily driver. We currently have 3 kids (2 girls,1 boy), but in november a 4th kid will be joining our family. I really have no desire to sell my Jeep but would like to be able to carry my entire family in the Jeep. I am not too worried about cargo area since we have a trailer to pull while camping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2011-04-29_13-10-27_969.jpg

JC Whitney used to sell a 3rd row seat kit that sat frat on the floor and folded down, see if they are still avail. If memory serves they were expensive.

Where will their legs go? Or do the smallest and youngest sit in the very back?

That's what I'd imagine, I've seen one in an XJ in person and it had 2 carseats in the back.. I've seen it done on plenty of Wranglers, mostly the same case with little kids in the back.

Our oldest is going to be 4 in a couple months so they are all midgets still. I was thinking of doing a rear facing seat, possibly a seat out of a tj.

Wow I like that idea. They would fold up out of the way pretty easy. I wonder how comfortable they would be.

They are not too bad...my x g friend had the same s-10 and there not to uncomfortable-kids fit perfect..I am 5 ' 3 " and have sat there before--like sitting on a milk crate.And if you have a grey interior-- would look almost factory.

Years ago I had an extended cab s10 with a camper top and the back wall cut out so it was almost like a box van. Before I met my wife I had a wall of subs built in there for the sound system, but when we got together that went away. What I did to allow people/kids to sit back there was get a couple of the fold down padded seats that boat places sell and mounted them to the bottom of the bed. Was the perfect size for kids to sit in and then could be folded down when needed as well. Only thing you also need to think about is mounting seat belts too which can be done with basic lap belts where they will be.

Buy a safer family car...the backseats are known to eject rear seat passengers and now apparently the gas tanks explode in high speed rear end impacts. On the up side, the cargo floor is solid metal so anything that fits you can drop the gas tank and just bolt in. I would consider reinforcing it somewhat. If I were really interested in putting kids in the back I might also look into designing a better locking mechanism for the rear folding seat.
:flame:

Buy a safer family car...the backseats are known to eject rear seat passengers and now apparently the gas tanks explode in high speed rear end impacts. On the up side, the cargo floor is solid metal so anything that fits you can drop the gas tank and just bolt in. I would consider reinforcing it somewhat. If I were really interested in putting kids in the back I might also look into designing a better locking mechanism for the rear folding seat.
:flame:
The XJ is a pretty safe vehicle. The exploding tank was a bit of a freak occurrence and occurred after and very high speed impact. Just about any vehicle could've seen the same fate if they were hit and the vehicle submarined, rupturing the tank.

However, I would look into getting an actual family car and using the third row idea strictly for wheeling.

Double Check your state's regs on aftermarket seats. Some don't allow for seats in areas that weren't designed to hold passengers. You won't pass inspection in some areas. And if your location is Long Island, NY; Well, I almost guarantee you'd be screwed. Then again, I haven't kept up with the land of Government OVERsight lately :)

Double Check your state's regs on aftermarket seats. Some don't allow for seats in areas that weren't designed to hold passengers. You won't pass inspection in some areas. And if your location is Long Island, NY; Well, I almost guarantee you'd be screwed. Then again, I haven't kept up with the land of Government OVERsight lately :)

I don't think the OP is from New York.:gee:

A7 -

Congrats on the family. I have #4 due in October, so I'm in a similar situation (8, 7, 3yrs + baby). I wouldn't consider the boat seat option...just doesn't seem safe; lap belts only, not designed for vehicle speed impacts.

Everytime i walk past a Volvo wagon inthe wrecking yard, I think about how one of their seats might fit into the cargo area...

m83o93la5Y25O15Z0b5e3b1cab309f011c2c.jpg

A Range Rover (admitedly less popular in most yards :) )...

9480.JPG

From a '98 Audi...
images

From TrailVoy...

images

Older Durango 3rd rows seem pretty simple/flat for a possible mod...

140.jpg

You could bolt in the fold-n-tumble rear seat out of a YJ Wrangler clear at the back of the cargo area. That would probably give you seating for 2 small children. You'd have to rig seat belts, and I'm not sure how kids would get in/out. Any way around, it wouldn't be the safest setup.

Might consider getting another XJ and a couple CBs. Three per car and you have your own recovery crew. Also might have enough storage to ditch the trailer.

Every time I see these posts I scratch my head. I simply cannot understand how someone could consider this safe. I spent my younger years watching driver's faces while sitting in back of a chevy wagon, and later a volvo 240. Having a lifted jeep helps, but I wouldn't put my kid that close to a rear-end collision.

Assuming that you worked out the details of anchoring the seat and creating truly safe 3 point belts, the 3' space between the floor of an XJ and the ceiling simply doesn't accomodate passengers. That includes kids. Wagons have a sunked floor to accomodate the passenger's feet. A disco has an elevated rear roof line to accomodate head room.

You have two options. First is to make the seat forward facing and have the child's head basically up against the rear glass. The second option is to have the seat rear facing. With the second option, keep in mind the angle of the factory back seat. This cuts about 6" of room out of the equation. After you install a near vertical 3rd seat, there will be little leg room for kids that are big enough to sit back there without a car seat.

The best option would probably be to have the seats facing sideways. You would have to stagger the seats so there was enough leg room for each child. You'd still have to deal with seatbelts, and one of those seats would be right up against the C pillar and in harms way.

I suspect that I'm stating the obvious, and there is a reason why there are no updates from the OP.

Back