• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head gasket questions

flazz85

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I going to be changing my head gasket in a few weeks and I am doing some more homework on it right now. Just trying to get the basics down and do it right, anyway I can't find a thread with pictures of the whole process (teardown/install). Maybe I'm just being a noob and searching the wrong way. Can somebody maybe send me in the right direction with a link for a thread that shows the whole process of taking out the old head gasket an installing the new one, that has pics? Also, whats a good head gasket that you guys prefer? I found this one (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4529242/?rtype=10) and I think I'll use this one, but any other input is always good. Thank you in advance for any help guys. One other thing, my xj is a 97 SE if that makes a difference.

The MLS .044" compressed head gasket is also sold under there brands:
Mopar Performance P4529242
Jeep 53010587AA
Victor Reinz 54249S (available from Carquest using 54249, no 'S')
FEL-PRO 26211 PT
Victor Reinz HS5713Z Head gasket set for a 96-98 4.0 now comes with the .044" gasket.

As for the tear down. Drain the radiator, remove accessories, remove valve cover, remove rockers and push rods (try to keep them in order), remove head bolts (they can be reused once), remove head. Clean old gasket material off with a scraper, not one of those abrasive discs you put on a die grinder. Reverse removal, following factory torque specs and pattern. You should have a manual for the torque specs and pattern. Also, since I have an engine lift I remove the head and manifolds together and put them back in the same way. If you don't have one remove the manifolds and have someone help you lift the head off.

Check your head and block insure they are true.
Your head gasket blew for some reason. TRY to find it. Else you MAY be right back in the same boat soon. It may have been a piss poor job of cleaning/torque at the factor. A little dirt can do lot of bad things.
============================================
remove rockers and push rods (try to keep them in order)
================================================
X2 your old parts have worn together. They sometime don't like mismatching. You could see a much shorten engine or value train life by mismatching of parts. If it maters you can generally sell off a engine long before problems start.
Clean the threads on both the bolts and in the block. As a mater of fact clean everything.
The head bolts should spin down BY HAND with little or no resistance.
If not remove and find out why. Generally it's dirt.
Reusing head bolts.
If the head was pulled for some reason OTHER then. Blown head gasket or something that MAY not be related to lose of clamping force. I would say defently reuse. They have proven them self. But if no other reason is found you might want to take a close look at the bolts or how the torque down.
The head bolt torque should build at ABOUT the same rate.
((((((((( EXAMPLE))))))))))
1/2 turns gets you 30/40 LBS on all bolts. If it builds MUCH faster on one bolt find out why. Once again dirt is common.
If one bolt takes a (((((LOT)))) more turns to get the same reading. Find out why. Once again it could very well be dirt. I HATE Dirt. The threads in the block may need chased. This will clean and fix any minor problems.
Still taking to many turns. Swamp with an other head bolt. If the problem goes with the bolt to the new hole. replace bolt. luck

Last edited:
Back