• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Partial Exo help

mickey_00xj

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm thinking of building some flat steel flares bordered by steel tubing and welding them into the front bumper, rocker guards and rear bumper. Only problem is I'm not sure how to make them somewhat easy to remove, for paint, repair damage, stuff like that, but still make them solid enough to take sufficient damage and not come apart. Any suggestions?

weld in a smaller tube to the flares that slides into the bumpers and sliders. have bolts that go into the flares and bumpers/sliders to hold em in place....strength will be determined by the bolts and amount of contact between the sleeved pieces

That's kinda what I was thinking but I didn't know if it would be strong enough, but I see what you're saying about the bolts. If I use 1 inch tubing with 3/4 inch inserts and something like a 7/16 grade 8 bolt to hold the two together would that be enough you think?

i mean people trust 5/8bolts on steering to take a beating.

the key would be to make the insert tube long enough to prevent any movement if possible. the bolts would be to jsut keep it snug ya know

I got ya, maybe do one at bottom near rocker and bumpers and another further up the tube to try and prevent any rattling. Perhaps if not a super snug fit mount some kind of teflon spacer to fill the gap. I've got my head right now, thanks for the help. I'll post pics when I get started and along the build, and once I pay my member fees.

Weld a 3" or so square of 3/16" steel to the inner fender to spread the load. Weld a piece of tube directly from the flare to the reinforcement. Order two bolt mating flanges from Ruffstuff or approved equal. Cut out the thickness of a pair of flanges from each tube. Weld in flanges. ??? Profit.

I wanna use a 1 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick, however long, to run as a nut strip on the inside of the body panels. Weld nuts to that and "sandwich" the body panel between the flare and this strip. I figure that would hold better and I don't have to worry about pulling on the thin body sheet metal as much. Then with tying the flares into the bumpers and rockers it should give the body more structural integrity then just having flares hanging on them. I need to do something about the inner pinch seam of my front wheel wells, cut the crap out of my tires this past weekend. Any suggestions for this? Thought about notching them and folding them over, will this work?

Another question, all I have is a flux welder, will I burn through the thin sheet metal of the body panels if I use this to do, well anything, on the body and inner wheel wells?

Back