• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about towing with 4in lift

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are alot of adds on towing with lifts but I would like some input specifc for me.

Im going to be buying a 15foot fiberglass boat with a 70hp engine on it that I would like to tow behind my 1995 Jeep XJ

I currently have a 4in lift on the jeep, add-a-leaf and 2in drop shackles.

Im wondering how it will tow with that set up? will I be okay on the hwy going 110kms a hour

well, i have have 4.5 inches of lift on my cherokee and it huals 2 dirt bikes on a 6x10 trailer pretty well! and thats with 33s and stock gearing! kinda gotta rod on it on the hills but not that bad really.

My mom used her 94 with a 4.5in RockKrawler longarm kit on 35s to tow around a 6x8 enclosed trailer stuffed with cleaning supplies for years. The only problem she had was that the hitch started to rip out of the unibody.. (It had full nutstrips)

I'd say you're fine, but that AAL will probably sag very quickly. If it's going to be a dedicated boat-tower I'd look into some simple air bags, they're super easy to install, they'll save your springs, and if you buy the right ones they don't limit your flex at all.

Just my .02

Gears and lockers and tire sizes and boat weight?

I towed a 6x10 utility trailer behind my junk on 6" and 35s and 4.88s and a locker, empty on the freeway and loaded across town, because I thought I might get lucky, but I didn't. So it wasn't worth it, but I didn't die. I did buy like a 12" drop hitch.

just pull it out of OD while pulling, it'll be ok. you should look into trailer brakes though...

Trailor brakes are a necessity but why take it out of OD?

I've towed two different 17' boats with my last Cherokee. It only had 30/9.50's and a budged boost. The big difference was when I traded the old boat for a new boat and went from not having trailer brakes to having trailer brakes. HUGE difference.
And as for the OD i'd have to agree with the other posts. If there is any hill at all the trans will either be in 2nd or 3rd anyway.
And cograts on the boat. Out of all the stuff i've had to sell lately the boat was definately the family favorite.

Towing anything in OD is going to heat that tranny up, period. Heat kills transmissions. It's WAY better to tow in 3rd. I don't even consider OD when I'm towing something.

The opposite is true. With the AW4 in OD, there is less slip of the clutches which results in less temperature rise. If you want to do some thing, simply shift into 3. You will still get into OD just at about 8 MPH slower and 200+ higher RPMs.
In reality though OD in the AW4 with the shift lever in 3rd or 4th could only be achieved if the OD shift solonoid is disabled electrically.

Back