• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ENGINE SWAP OR?? HELP

jeepin' josh

NAXJA Forum User
okay guys I really need some help here... I blew a head gasket on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee classic. I had the head pinned (it was cracked in two places and the dude charged me as much to fix it as a new head woulda cost but to late now) and then milled... I installed new head gasket, water pump, plugs and wires, thermostat and all new head bolts and gaskets all around and still I am leaking water into my oil..... SO... I think my block is cracked or warped... so I have already wasted 600 bucks on this POS engine and since I rolled my black 2001 Cherokee and bought this one just for the body anyways I was wondering how compatible the engines are... I hear all I-6 blocks for jeeps are compatible but my distributor on the 98n comes from the block where as my 2001 Cherokee uses and ignition rail not distributor... but that's the only thing different I can tell... so... CAN I SWAP A 98 4.0 I-6 with distributor for a 2001 4.0 I-6 with ignition rail and if so are there any problems or conversions that will need to be done?? Swap Wire harnesses? computers?? arg!! I have everything from both vehicles but I am and have been dead in the water for 3 weeks now and its my only vehicle... since I rolled my black 01...

1991-2001 HO blocks are interchangeable. Bolt on the needed sensors, ignition/distributor, manifolds, and go. The 2000-01 head is different so you can either buy a used head for the 98 or maybe look into using the 01 exhaust with the 01 head in the 98.

Last edited:
okay so I can swap the engines out and convert the 01 to distributor with the parts I have between the two? and that avoids PCM and harness swap? that sounds easier but is it better? or do I want to go through the trouble to get the ignition coil? is it a better system?

1991-2001 HO blocks are interchangeable. Bolt on the needed sensors, ignition/distributor, manifolds, and go. The 2000-01 head is different so you can either buy a used head for the 98 or maybe look into using the 01 exhaust with the 01 head in the 98.

But im not sure my block is a high output block.. or are they all??

All 1991-2001 XJ and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L blocks are interchangeable and all are H. O.

Simply remove the 00-01 distributor-less sensor and install your standard distributor in the correct orientation.

If you want the distributor-less coil on spark plug system, buy a 2000-01.

All 1991-2001 XJ and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L blocks are interchangeable and all are H. O.

Simply remove the 00-01 distributor-less sensor and install your standard distributor in the correct orientation.

If you want the distributor-less coil on spark plug system, buy a 2000-01.

OK well I did the swap... I used the 2001 engine with the harness from the 01 and the pcm of the 01 and put it all in my 98... I still used the 98 harness from inside the cab to the pcm but used the 01 engine harness everything bolted up and plugged in great but now I'm throwing out o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 and 2 circuit malfuntion, shift solenoid a and b circle hit malfunction and torque converter solenoid circuit malfunction along with auxiliary emmission control... so I really need some help... how can I fix this and get back on the road? It starts drives but wont shift and idles kinda low when in gear... so I'm close but I can't figure out if its wiring or what is really bad.. I already replaced the shift solenoids and still no shifting so now what? I mean really?? This is my only vehicle and I'm loosing jobs left and right Cuz of this b.s.! I'm in Provo Utah... is there a shop or dealer that could solve this issue???

There where only 3. The precats on the 01 have 2 and then 1 on the exhaust pipe down further... my 01 didn't have or need one after the third cat so I removed it years ago... the Jeep dealer said the pcm is coded to the VIN so some stuff in the dash are still 98 so its screwing up the computer or the wires on the connectors are in the wrong spot... so I'm having them check the wiring all out... they said I might have to make the 01 engine into the 98 with distributor and then swap out the intake manifold so the 98 computer will work and control the emissions correctly as well as the transmission but that don't make sense sense the 01 engine tranny and t case are all plugged into the 01 computer with the 01 engine harness.... I'm so confused frustrated and fed up I'm seriously out of options here and about to loose my job if I can't get this running by Monday....

Last edited:
The Dealership is correct and that is what I told you to do also, use all the 1998 parts on the 01 block. Use the 98 wire harness and the 98 PCM.

It is very likely that there are difference in the wiring between 98 and 01. Just because the 98 and 01 plugs fit together, that doesn't mean the wires are matched up correctly.

Last edited:
Good grief man.., I can't offer you technical advise, but consider a moment, take in a deep breath.., hold for a few seconds.., and let it out as far as it can go.., then take a normal breath. Me.., I'd get depressed doing what you are doing around the clock. Some good Jeep Guru sez: "The '96-'99 0630 heads are almost identical except that they don't have a port for the coolant temp. gauge sending unit. The '00 and later HO heads with casting no.0331 have smaller exhaust ports to produce a faster warm-up of the catalytic converter and improve emissions, but performance also suffers because the ports don't flow as well as those of the, (verbage deleted), 0630 castings." I have read on this forum, and others, that there were a few 0331 heads that suffered problems from the attempt to satisfy some emission thing by pre-heating the cat more quickly.., but overcome in later years. Anyway, best wishes!!!!

Back