• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch struts

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled some 99 Windstar hatch struts to replace tired, old ones on a 99 XJ. The top mount is not the same as on older XJs (who knew?) and looks like it is held into a bolt-on mount by a fixed bar.

Has anyone tried to replace the old struts by drilling the bar out, drilling a hole all the way through the Windstar struts' top end, and bolting them in place?

Any really good, research or fact-based, non-BS (you know who you are) reason not to?

Thanks!

Brian

Any really good, research or fact-based, reason not to?

Because new XJ struts are about $18 each. Hardly worth the time or trouble to trailer park engineer a solution for used struts.

Because new XJ struts are about $18 each. Hardly worth the time or trouble to trailer park engineer a solution for used struts.

Beats watchin' the NASCARs.

The upper end attachment thingies on both sets of struts are threaded, but the XJ rod's diameter is larger than the Windstar. If we can find a thread adapter this will be one of the easier engineering jobs I've tackled lately.

Last edited:
I'd personally just throw your pulled ones under your hood and buy some proper ones for the hatch.. I'm debating throwing an extra one I have under my hood for a lift strut..

Do you guys think just 1 is enough for the hood? (Mine is a newer style one, so easier to mount up under there.)

Back