• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35 to 8.25 swap driveshaft ?'s

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be swapping my 35 for an 29 spline 8.25 soon and from what I've read here it'll be fairly easy but I just want to have all my bases covered before starting.
I know I need new U bolts (torque?) and that I need to pull my ABS fuse and relay.

The E brake cables and lines will hook up fine right? No mod needed?

Apparently the 8.25 is 1 inch longer where the pinion is.

My 96 is lifted 3 inches. Will my stock DS fit fine? I don't want to bottom it out in the TC.

Any help tips and insight is appreciated. This is the larges tthing I've done on my rig so I'm a bit nervous to start. Don't want to be disabled.
Thanks ya'll!

I know I need new U bolts (torque?) and that I need to pull my ABS fuse and relay.
You need 3" u-bolts vs the 2.5" that were used on the D35. Currie has them at a good price. Any .5" grade 8 u-bolt will work, and that's what some of the parts stores carry stock. Torque spec is 90 ft lb, work your way up to it criss-crossing bolts and keep equal amounts of thread exposed.

The E brake cables and lines will hook up fine right? No mod needed?

Yup the drum brake setup is identical and the cable acorn is identical. The only thing to consider is that both axles come from the same generation so the cables are the same length, everything else is identical.

Apparently the 8.25 is 1 inch longer where the pinion is.

My 96 is lifted 3 inches. Will my stock DS fit fine? I don't want to bottom it out in the TC.
Yes the 8.25 is about an inch longer. will it be a problem? Dunno... the slip yoke is designed with a little play and lifting it may have given you some more. Mark the current position, disconnect the rear, and see how much inward travel you've got to determine if its got enough room for you. You might want to think about where to get a shaft just in case.

Any help tips and insight is appreciated. This is the larges tthing I've done on my rig so I'm a bit nervous to start. Don't want to be disabled.
Sounds like you've started to get prepared already. Two other things you will run into is that you have to disconnect the shocks and the rear hydraulic brake line, so be prepared for potential problems there.

Back