• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent A/C ....need ideas

pajeepman

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep is a 2000 XJ. Last summer with the A/C on it would work but the vents would blow warm air when the Jeep came to a stop(at a light, in traffic, etc). It would start blowing cold once the Jeep started moving again. A/C compressor died. I put a used good compressor(came out of a cash for clunker mint condition 2001 XJ that had recent a/c work done. I assume it is good). I didn't replace the orifice tube, reciever/drier, or have vacuum pulled(have the parts though). Just needed to get it blowing cold for my GF so she wasn't all sweaty once she got to work. The A/C works with the used compressor but the A/C still blows warm when coming to a stop. ANY ideas what to check for?

Verify that your auxiliary electric fan is cycling while the AC is on, and make sure your engine fan is running (i.e. the clutch isn't broken/worn). Sounds like the condenser is not being cooled adequately at a stop (the higher the temperature of the compressed/liquid refrigerant, the higher the temperature of the evaporated refrigerant).

I would check mentioned stuff and also evacuate, vacuum down the system and recharge.

I will change the new parts out I have and vacuum it down soon . I don't think the vacuum process will fix it alone since the issue was around befor ethe system was opened up(not that you where saying it alone would fix the problem).
I'll have to jump the fan to see if it is even still working.

Back