• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 axle shaft bearing conundrum....

jk_surgeonfish

NAXJA Forum User
So, I am getting the parts to change out the rear axle shaft bearings on my 99XJ. I am getting the Timkens and went to Autozone to get them. Part #TRP1559TV. The first Autozone only had one so I got it and then went across town and got the other.

Here is the strange thing. The first one I picked up looks like I would expect. The second one is taller and has a rubber gasket with a spring on it that goes around the axle shaft. This would basically prevent any differential fluid from reaching the bearings. I do see that the bearing is pre-packed with grease however. The first one I got is not prepacked and would be accessible to the diff fluid when installed.

I called another Autozone and they pulled the part and he has the one that has the gasket with the spring.

So... what gives? Which is correct? Which one should I use?
confused.gif

You will need to disassemble the C8.25 in your '99 to see what your setup consists of...
On my '98 the axle setup consists of a bearing and the axle seal that presses into the end of the axle tube.

So, I am getting the parts to change out the rear axle shaft bearings on my 99XJ. I am getting the Timkens and went to Autozone to get them. Part #TRP1559TV. The first Autozone only had one so I got it and then went across town and got the other.

Here is the strange thing. The first one I picked up looks like I would expect. The second one is taller and has a rubber gasket with a spring on it that goes around the axle shaft. This would basically prevent any differential fluid from reaching the bearings. I do see that the bearing is pre-packed with grease however. The first one I got is not prepacked and would be accessible to the diff fluid when installed.

I called another Autozone and they pulled the part and he has the one that has the gasket with the spring.

So... what gives? Which is correct? Which one should I use?
confused.gif

Here are some pics of the bearings:

_MG_4673.jpg

_MG_4675.jpg

I'm in the same boat right now. The 2 new bearings I picked up were as you described. It almost looks like they have the seal pre-installed.

Does anyone have any input? How would I go about installing them (assuming they're the correct part)? Would a regular bearing/race installer work? Any other suggestions?

TIA

Looks like a axle repair bearing. It slightly moves the spot where the bearing rollers and seal ride, for use when the shaft has some surface damage.
My 2001 XJ has a set of them for several thousand miles.

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/...559_0071204854&An=599001+102001+50038+2038004

+1, Last month I changed my 01 8.25s bearings & seals (I had a leaking passenger side seal & figured that since it was apart I might as well change both sides bearings & seals)
I noticed that there was a bearing/seal listed for use on a damaged axle shaft, That must be it.

I went to Timkins web based parts catalog and they list the bearing itself as #6408. If you follow AZ's parts search, it takes you to the "repair kit", but if you punch in 6408 it brings up just the bearing.

Looks like I'll be getting the 6408 and a refund :)

Back