• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing with 32-33s

CarbonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was needing some input on regearing when I install 32s (MAYBE 33s, doubt it) this winter. I currently have an auto and 3.55 with 30s, and have only noticed a slightly slower accel and no mileage change. I want to move up to 4.11 and ARB lockers, but will 4.11 be enough to push the truck? 2000 4.0L with cowl intake and flowmaster 50 seems like it moves quick enough, but I like the 18mpg avg =) I only tow a small 16ft aluminum boat so I'm thinking it will be suffient.

I would do 4.56's. They'll be a little overkill for 32's and perfect for 33's....plus it's just not worth the money to only do 4.11's.

It is my DD and I do run 70mph to work and back. The chart you posted ROLL is a great help. I don't plan on running anything over 32s but we all know that plans change.

It is my DD and I do run 70mph to work and back. The chart you posted ROLL is a great help. I don't plan on running anything over 32s but we all know that plans change.

It's a nice chart, but pay attention to this:
"These calculations are assuming a manual transmission with a 1:1 ratio."

...which is 3rd gear on a AW4.
The ideal gear ratio for an AW4 in 4th gear with 32's is actually about 4.27:1, which they don't make. So you can either overgear it with 4.56's or undergear it with 4.11's.

Since you'll probably go to 33's some day, it just doesn't make sense to undergear it with 4.11's now.

4.11's aren't "undergeared" for 33's. They're almost spot on the factory ratio. So if you're happy with power and acceleration with stock gearing, then stick to 4.11's. Not to mention it sounds like you value your fuel economy, which staying close to stock gearing will help with too. 4.56's wouldn't kill your gas mileage, nor would 4.11's kill your power, but 4.56's would be too deep for YOUR purposes. Especially if you'll more than likely stick to 32's :cheers:

If you are DD'ing it go 4.10's. If there is any chance you'll go big on it, go 4.10's and buy some 60's for when you get big tires. I drive mine a lot on the highway so I will be doing 4.10's to keep the RPM's down.

4.11's aren't "undergeared" for 33's. They're almost spot on the factory ratio. So if you're happy with power and acceleration with stock gearing, then stick to 4.11's. Not to mention it sounds like you value your fuel economy, which staying close to stock gearing will help with too. 4.56's wouldn't kill your gas mileage, nor would 4.11's kill your power, but 4.56's would be too deep for YOUR purposes. Especially if you'll more than likely stick to 32's :cheers:

:wstupid:

I have 4.11's with ARB lockers and run 32" tires. Works great...

If you are sticking with 32" tires do it. I waited about 3 months before re-gearing after the lift and bigger tires. I hated it. Poor acceleration, dogged uphill, I imagine it might get hot on the trails....

If you think that maybe some day you will go to 33" tires then put the 4:56's in now so you only do it once....

If you care about mpg's why did you buy a jeep? Now with that out of the way we all say I not going bigger but then the itch comes to keep up with the rest. I would do the 4.56 and it will be nice with the extra weight of armor and trail spares. Do what u want not what everyone else wants.

The common knowledge on NAXJA from those running the setups seems to run counter to what charts say based on calculations. Consider this: when you put bigger tires on the Jeep, you probably also have added a lift, and possibly heavier bumpers and armor. Bigger tires, bigger bumpers, heavier armor equals heavier weight. Taller ride height equals more wind drag. Heck, bigger fatter tires equal more wind drag. They also create extra leverage/rolling resistance. The mathematical calculations don't take any of that into account.

I'm running 4.88s with my 33s and I wouldn't go any lower. Search around on the forums and you'll find a lot of info, and a lot of the more knowledgeable members will recommend going deeper than you think you need to. I can still do 70-80. I have acceptable acceleration (still not as quick as stock). If you're fairly certain you'll stick with 32s, go 4.56. I have a friend running that setup and he loves it. If there's a chance you'll go 33s, get 4.88s.

Also, the 4.0 doesn't mind spinning around 3000 rpm. 70=2700ish for me. No complaints from me or the Jeep. There are many others who get excellent mileage as well. Mine sucks, but my XJ has other issues.

For me, 4.56's and a 5 spd on 32's works great as a DD / Weekend trail rig. At 65 mph, I'm spinnng about 2700 rpm....nice power sweet spot.

I would say that 4.11's would be a waste....

The common knowledge on NAXJA from those running the setups seems to run counter to what charts say based on calculations. Consider this: when you put bigger tires on the Jeep, you probably also have added a lift, and possibly heavier bumpers and armor. Bigger tires, bigger bumpers, heavier armor equals heavier weight. Taller ride height equals more wind drag. Heck, bigger fatter tires equal more wind drag. They also create extra leverage/rolling resistance. The mathematical calculations don't take any of that into account.

Absolutely correct. I'm just saying that the ratio will be factory, if you want more power then go lower. But then again I'm running 33x10.50's A/T's on a fairly light rig so 4.10's are perfect for me.

I'd say it boils down to personal preference and rig style, I don't think you'd be too disappointed with 4.10's or 4.56's.

If you are DD'ing it go 4.10's. If there is any chance you'll go big on it, go 4.10's and buy some 60's for when you get big tires. I drive mine a lot on the highway so I will be doing 4.10's to keep the RPM's down.

:wstupid:

Ok I'm confused, you just agreed with me. Are we stupid together?

factory ratio wont chirp tires, or lift the nose 6" under hard accel.....

Mine always did :dunno:

4.88s or gtfo. Seriously though regearing is expensive and you really don't want to EVER regret it, now or down the road. You say you will stop at 33s but I truely doubt it, I wouldn't even bother to regear if it isn't at least 4.56, with 4.88s and 33s I have pulled over 20 mpg with a corrected speedometer. I average around 17ish give or take, I'm barely on the throttle at any given time and have a TON of power whenever I need it. I will miss the get up and go when I go to 35s someday but at least I know now that I can run these gears with 32s,33s, or 35s.

Seriously consider 4.88s

I'm running 4.88s with my 33s and I wouldn't go any lower. Search around on the forums and you'll find a lot of info, and a lot of the more knowledgeable members will recommend going deeper than you think you need to. I can still do 70-80. I have acceptable acceleration (still not as quick as stock). If you're fairly certain you'll stick with 32s, go 4.56. I have a friend running that setup and he loves it. If there's a chance you'll go 33s, get 4.88s.

Also, the 4.0 doesn't mind spinning around 3000 rpm. 70=2700ish for me. No complaints from me or the Jeep. There are many others who get excellent mileage as well. Mine sucks, but my XJ has other issues.

+1. I run 4.56 with 33's and an auto. I wish I went 4.88.

Back