• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO to renix harness.

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
probably wont work how i am thinking, but i have an 88 renix and was thinking about putting the 94 HO motor i have in sense i already am doing the transmission.

question is this would i have to tear the interior apart and swap the harnees for the cab renix-->HO or would the HO engine bay harness plug into the renix fuse block in the firewall and everything work fine and dandy? im assuming not as im sure most the wiring is different. figured it was worth asking as the HO cab harness is a bit beaten up and i dont really want to strip my interior.

thanks,
Mitch

Two options:
- swap all the renix sensors onto the HO block(easy enough)And run it on the stock system.
- Swap the whole OBD system, along with the dash, into the '88 and run that.

You can't really mix & match. There's a few threads on swapping the OBD-II system(97-up)into MJ Comanches, but most people don't bother doing it with the XJ, because you can just go out and buy one.

It is incredibly easy to put the HO in the Renix's place by swapping sensors, dizzy, manifolds and very important, flexplate or flywheel. Go for it. If you run into anything that doesn't make sense to you, post up your questions. You'll be fine.

It is incredibly easy to put the HO in the Renix's place by swapping sensors, dizzy, manifolds and very important, flexplate or flywheel. Go for it. If you run into anything that doesn't make sense to you, post up your questions. You'll be fine.

well i will be using a different transmission aswell. do i use the new transmissions flywheel with the renix CPS? or the renix flywheel and the renix cps?

is there any writeups for the swap? i found one going from renix to an obdII motor but my new motor is a 94 which i believe is obdI

alright thanks< will figure it out as i go seems fairly straight forward all the sensors just annoy me. will be getting a cherry picker this weekend.

Just to get it out of the way, You're swapping both the engine and transmission from the '94 into the '88, yes? Are both automatic trans, or both standard(or are you switching,..)

The the RENIX sensors(TPS, IAC, MAP)don't bolt straight to the "HO" throttle body. You either have to use the renix TB(easiest to adapt) or adapt the sensors to the HO body(do-able, but a bit of a PITA)and install the throttle linkage from the '94 into the '88.

If automatic:
I'm not real clear on the subject, but apparently there have been changes over the years in the transmission wiring connectors, although the transmission itself never changed. You may have to swap the TCU harness over. Pretty simple, 88-94 the harness was still "stand-alone"
4WD? Early AW-4s have a smaller (21 spline) output shaft, while all the later ones have a 23 spline shaft. The '94 trans may not seat on your '88 transfer case without a new input gear.

If automatic:
I'm not real clear on the subject, but apparently there have been changes over the years in the transmission wiring connectors, although the transmission itself never changed. You may have to swap the TCU harness over. Pretty simple, 88-94 the harness was still "stand-alone"
4WD? Early AW-4s have a smaller (21 spline) output shaft, while all the later ones have a 23 spline shaft. The '94 trans may not seat on your '88 transfer case without a new input gear.

I went the opposite direction.. 88 trans/transfer into a 94 when i did the 4WD conversion.

The wiring connectors are the same... he will need to swap the original speedo gear/housing to new trans. TCU he doesnt have to swap... i never did.

He MAY have to swap the trans kickdown.. my 88's was too short. I MAY have originally routed mine wrong which necessitated the swap..

Just to get it out of the way, You're swapping both the engine and transmission from the '94 into the '88, yes? Are both automatic trans, or both standard(or are you switching,..)

The the RENIX sensors(TPS, IAC, MAP)don't bolt straight to the "HO" throttle body. You either have to use the renix TB(easiest to adapt) or adapt the sensors to the HO body(do-able, but a bit of a PITA)and install the throttle linkage from the '94 into the '88.

If automatic:

both transmission are manuals.

i also was planning on keeping my renix manifolds unless there is gain to the HO manifolds im pretty sure they are ported differently? but i would rather not mess with adapting all the sensors to the ho throttle body. maybe i could use the renix throttle body on the HO intake manifold?

which gaskets do i use if i put the renix manifolds on the ho motor? the renix gaskets or the ho gaskets?

also does anyone know what the unirail needs to be tapped when going from puegeot to ax-15? what size tap?

i am pulling the transmission tommorow hopefully the motor this weekend or next week depending on me finding a cherry picker to barrow..

alright i have gotten most of my new motor together minus the flywheel, had a couple questions for the last couple of things i need to get done.

for the flywheel does it have to go on in any specific way? basically do i jsut slap it on was worried it could affect the timing somehow?

and then for sensors i plan on not using the renix knock sensor at the moment possibly in the future.

water tempreature? i believe on the HO motor it is on the t-stat housing. do i just put my renix sensor on the HO thermostat housing or what? and where is the renix sensor? on the block?

and oil pressure? no clue where that sesnsor is or what to do about swapping it.

also there is a plug on the back of my renix head its kinda just a post. that a wire goes on. its also on my HO head. but its a plug on the HO head. what do i do with this?

thanks for any help,
Mitch

Use your Renix flywheel. It only goes on one way.

The HO blocks many times have a threaded boss for the knock sensor.

Not all HO motors have the temp sender in the thermostat housing. They have a provision in the head sometimes.

Don't forget your Coolant Temp Sensor aka CTS, that needs to go in the driver's side of the block BEFORE you install the engine. The plug you need to remove is a 5'16" drive.

Oil pressure sender is the same location.
The stud on the rearmost driver side headbolt is for the ground wire to the firewall. I suggest junking that braided cable and replacing it with a length of #4 battery cable. Attach the cable to the rearmost bolt of the injector rail. Be sure to scrape the paint off the firewall where the new cable will attach.

Keep the questions coming.

Use your Renix flywheel. It only goes on one way.

The HO blocks many times have a threaded boss for the knock sensor.

Not all HO motors have the temp sender in the thermostat housing. They have a provision in the head sometimes.

Don't forget your Coolant Temp Sensor aka CTS, that needs to go in the driver's side of the block BEFORE you install the engine. The plug you need to remove is a 5'16" drive.

Oil pressure sender is the same location.
The stud on the rearmost driver side headbolt is for the ground wire to the firewall. I suggest junking that braided cable and replacing it with a length of #4 battery cable. Attach the cable to the rearmost bolt of the injector rail. Be sure to scrape the paint off the firewall where the new cable will attach.

Keep the questions coming.

as for the clutch just to clarify do i use my old clutch or the clutch i got with the HO motor and tranny (94 clutch)

got some pictures for you.
this is the sensor in the side of the block on my 88 renix motor i have a spot for it on the HO block just have to remove a plug. which sensor is this? temp?
IMAG0046.jpg

renix motor knock sensor, it broke off a long time ago. i have a spot to put this on the HO block.
IMAG0049.jpg

what is this? oil pressure sender? this is the renix one do i just swap it to the same spot on the HO motor? the HO has the oil filter horizontal instead of vertically mounted.
IMAG0048.jpg

this is the last one, this is the stud i was talking about on the renix block second picture under this is the HO one in the same place. figured i just need to swap them.
IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

i think the renix temp sensor is in the radiator? not sure.

thanks for the help NAXJA

Swap all sensors/senders. You can install your oil filter adapter with new seals. First photo is of Coolant Temp sensor. 2nd photo is of knock sensor. Easy, isn't it? 4th photo, swap senders.

Swap all sensors/senders. You can install your oil filter adapter with new seals. First photo is of Coolant Temp sensor. 2nd photo is of knock sensor. Easy, isn't it? 4th photo, swap senders.

for the one on the oil filter neck i just swaped it to the new motor the threads were the same some thread sealant was used aswell.

thanks!

for the one on the oil filter neck i just swaped it to the new motor the threads were the same some thread sealant was used aswell.

thanks!

Really should replace the O- rings as that is what seals. Not thread sealer. There are three O-rings available really cheap from the dealer.

Remember to swap your distributor into the new motor, being careful not to screw up the indexing.

Really should replace the O- rings as that is what seals. Not thread sealer. There are three O-rings available really cheap from the dealer.

Remember to swap your distributor into the new motor, being careful not to screw up the indexing.

when i removed the sensor from the oil filter neck it was just a threaded sensor no o rings or anything.

Back