• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All of a sudden vibes and DW in front...

SqueegieSteve

NAXJA Forum User
98XJ, about 4" lift on 31's.
Stock steering accept for redrilled track bar and ZJ tie rod

My death wobble has been getting worse and worse over the past few months but what is new now is vibes in the front end (pretty much identical to the vibes you get from a rear end without an SYE). Could my pinion angle be getting worse making death wobble and now to the point of giving me vibes?
I might just measure adjust it, could i get away with just using washers on my LCA's? Or will there be too much shear on them... what do you think?

Actually it is starting to look like my vibes are from a bad U-Joint. Tonight i am going to take it apart and check it out. I probably have a bad pinion angle because i need to get adjustable control arms at my lift height

Last edited:
Could it be your rotors? I don't have much experience driving on big treads so I have no clue how much actual vibration would transfer to the steering wheel but my stock xj was wobbling like crazy... Changed the rotors and all was good.

Could it be your rotors? I don't have much experience driving on big treads so I have no clue how much actual vibration would transfer to the steering wheel but my stock xj was wobbling like crazy... Changed the rotors and all was good.

... I do have a warped rotor, but how could that cause death wobble?
I am pretty sure i need to address my track bar for the death wobble. But my big issue is the vibes in the front end. i'm going to pull off my front shaft tonight to check it out.

Just removed the front driveshaft ans still getting rumbling vibes on the highway... Its a little bit similiar to what i was getting before changing my rear pinion angle with shims..... Any ideas?

I've got warped front rotors on my 93 and I WILL get DW if I hit a crack in the road just perfectly. Too bad the XJs are known for having so much lateral runout with the front rotors. If theres enough material, try to get the rotors machined with an on-car lathe.

I plan on putting the new rotors on tomorrow with a new HD steering stabilizer to hopefully rid of all of my DW.

Oh, and I had DW with stock tires and lift, and no loose or misaligned steering components, so I cant blame any higher pinon angles or aftermarket stuff to blame it on.

Back