• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery drain...

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
battery drain...
my 1996 XJ has a little problem... if I let it sit for a few days it won't start...

turns out I have a .21-.34 amp draw!

I have been trying to track the drain down... seems that it is on the same fuse as the interior lights and the radio memory...

so where do I go from here?

for the time being I have just pulled the fuse

Looks like your radio, interior lights and your cig lighter are all on same fuse. Do not forget about the glove box light and the lights in the sun visor if yours has them. you can unplug the ones in the sun visors if you unscrew the 3 screws holding the visor up and you can remove the bulb from the glove box to check that. If there is a phone charger or anything else plugged into the cig lighter that has a little light on it make sure it is unplugged out of the cig lighter socket.

Since you know what circuit that causes the problem; you will need to trace out the wiring and disconnect all the accessories that are fed from that circuit and then reconnect one at a time to rule out which ones are not causing the problem.
Start by disconnecting the radio and see if there is still a drain on the circuit.
Could be the windshield visor vanity lights as previously posted.

Since you know what circuit that causes the problem; you will need to trace out the wiring and disconnect all the accessories that are fed from that circuit and then reconnect one at a time to rule out which ones are not causing the problem.
Start by disconnecting the radio and see if there is still a drain on the circuit.
Could be the windshield visor vanity lights as previously posted.

it's still there... even though there is nothing hooked up... lol

Advice from Joe Peters
Quote:
“This is one of those 'back-to-basics" moments.

Charge the battery overnight (minimum) or for 24 hours (best).

While the battery is charging clean the battery cables, both ends, and test their resistance with an ohm meter, then check and renew all the grounds.

Now that the battery is fully charged, have it load tested.

Fully charged battery, load test passed, cables cleaned and tested for resistance, hook up the battery and read the static voltage, should be around 12v. Start the engine and measure the voltage at the battery, should be about 14.5v, if not, drive to a parts store and have them check the alternator.

Once you know the battery is good and charged, and the alternator is functioning correctly, then your problem may be solved. To check for a "draw" that could be discharging your battery disconnect the negative cable and put a 12v test light in series. With the key OFF, doors closed, and the under hood light disabled, there shouldn't be much of a draw, and the light should be DIM if lit at all. If the light is on BRIGHT there is too much of a draw and you have to isolate the individual circuit and take steps to fix the problem.

Good luck.”

P.S. all the users have to be off. Check are all of the doors closed, glove box light, vanity lights, trunk lamp, key off etc.) I did forget to look at the underhood light though, last time this nearly happened, that was the culprit. It had come off the bracket and with it sitting at a funny angle the light came on and stayed on until I found that had happened.
Do a search online for parasitic battery drain

Back