• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non-0331 head issues, need some anatomy gurus

vetteboy

NAXJA Forum User
This is on my race jeep, 4.6 stroker with a '97 block and '94 head. The head is bone stock so I guess this belongs here.

Last race I overheated the crap outta the motor- like well past the red. Since then a compression test checks out ok, but it's got a serious coolant consumption problem and is very prone to overheating. Oil looked like swirly thin junk when it came out, not surprising due to the temperature and coolant loss.

Changed the oil and ran it for a bit, and after a minute it'll start doing this on the driver side of the valve cover by the number 3 and 4 cylinders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7O6TZbB7Aw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Took the valve cover off and everything under there looks ok...what it almost looks like is it's coming up around the #3 and 4 valve cover bolt holes and seeping out that way.

I guess the question is, is it possible that the head cracked thru to those bolt holes, and in that same area, opened up something to allow exhaust into the coolant (overheating issue) and coolant into the oil (contamination)?

It also developed a tendancy to idle erratically and occasionally stumble unless at WOT under load once it gets warm...likely a related issue.

Edit: i'll add that I'm likely doing the head gasket anyway; just haven't gotten that far on it yet & trying to plan what I'm in for.

Last edited:
I'd say at the least you need a new headgasket. If you're lucky, it's just a breach b/t the cylinder, cooling port, and edge of gasket. Other possiblities are warped head, cracked head, warped valves, and crystalized rings.

I'd say at the least you need a new headgasket. If you're lucky, it's just a breach b/t the cylinder, cooling port, and edge of gasket. Other possiblities are warped head, cracked head, warped valves, and crystalized rings.

that sounds expensive and time consuming.

FIRI, we have races to win... er, um. drink beer at.

Right, I know all that. But with the exception of a cracked head - hence my original question - none of that would lead to coolant bubbling out of the side of the valve cover.

I was moreso wondering if anyone else had this experience with a non-0331 head, as I haven't seen this particular issue before.

If no crack, maybe that part of the head warped, and now the coolant can follow the headbolts up to the valve cover(longshot)?

Back